New to site with a new kitten

debo214

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was given a kitten recently and was researching what his coat or markings should be called. I think the best description is a domestic seal pointed mitted??

Last edited by a moderator:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, i think its a proper description, although I would reverse the word, alike, domestic mitted seal point.

If she is shorthair or medium hair, its too early to see as yet.  Its often difficult on small kittens.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

debo214

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think he is medium hair. He's definately not as puffy as pics I've seen of long haired kittens. My niece was so excited when I showed her his pic. She said "omg it's a ragdoll" but he is definately not a pedigreed cat lol.

debo214

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Does seal mean black or brown?? My kitty is brown, cream and white

debo214

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What!! That's the same cat! He is gorgeous but wow what a change in color!!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Was he born all white? Mine was.
Yes, true points are born white or almost white.  The darker points darken up with time, often already in one week.   May darken up more or less on the body too with time, especielly the Seal one.

Seal means black, although it may be dark brown too...  And they  darken up with time, as said.

Sometimes we see pointed kittens whom are grey on the body, black points.   These are not true point, its an example of the so called  fever coat. Usually the mom had some fever when they were foetuses.  Its not dangerous, and will change with time into their true color.

debo214

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm wondering, if the genetics are there to make my kitten a snowshoe lookalike; would the genetics also make him have their breed charactisics? I know that's probably an impossible question to answer since each cat is an individual and only time will tell but in general has anyone seen a corilation with appearance to a breed cat and behavior??

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm wondering, if the genetics are there to make my kitten a snowshoe lookalike; would the genetics also make him have their breed charactisics? I know that's probably an impossible question to answer since each cat is an individual and only time will tell but in general has anyone seen a corilation with appearance to a breed cat and behavior??
I dont think so.   Unless the ancestry isnt very far, and thus, quite a few other genes are also there.

But if the ancestry quite back afar, and the point gene essentially the only one left,  nay.

Although they tell the torties tend to have a tortie-attitude...   :)