new to site,new kitten not 100% sure what breed

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Hi Sarah!

Where did you get her?  Unless she's come from a registered breeder she's considered to be a Domestic.. a moggy.  She isn't Siamese.

But my goodness, she's almost unbearably cute! 

Welcome to TCS! 

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Super cute little Seal Tabby Point and White Domestic Longhair.     ( Another way to say her color / pattern is Seal Lynx Mitted ) 

She is not a Siamese,  her coat is too long and it definitely looks like a double coat.  so not Siamese nor Balinese.

The gene for the pointed pattern did originally come from Siamese,  but over the past 100+ years  it has been spread through the cat populations in the countries to which Siamese cats were imported.  So there are now many, many  random-bred cats of no particular breed (Domestic Shorthair and Domestic Longhair cats)  who have a pointed pattern but would have only a very miniscule amount of Siamese ancestry.

Some pointed Domestic Longhairs  were developed into a breed starting in the 1960s,   a breed that is now very popular -- the Ragdoll.  

Your kitten may be sort of like some of the cats that the Ragdoll came from.

The pattern has also been bred into other breeds like Himalayan (pointed Persians)  who got the pattern from a few distant Siamese ancestors from many years ago.   So a pointed cat of unknown ancestry could have got the genes for that pattern passed down via some other breed that initially got it from Siamese in one way or another.  

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 Now from these photos expecially the last one,  she looks more like a Blue Lynx Point and White instead of Seal Lynx Point and White.   

In the first photo you posted,  I thought she looked like she would turn out to be seal lynx point.   but that was just a guess but it was   borderline.    

It can sometimes be hard to tell from photos because of different lighting, camera settings,  etc.,   AND it is harder with pointed kittens, who are still developing their color.  And it can be harder with the lynx points since the tabby pattern makes a variety of colors in the pattern. 

If she is a seal lynx point  her darkest markings will be very dark brown to black.  . if blue lynx point the darkest markings will be dark grey.  

Here is a page with some photos of Ragdolls so you can see Seal Lynx Mitted and Blue Lynx Mitted and see the difference.  http://ragdollcat.org/lynx-ragdoll-cats.html

She's definitely not a seal point.   I didn't mean that;  that would be solid points,  not tabby.   Her basic pattern  (aside from the white patches)  is some  kind of lynx point  ( also called  tabby point  );  my only question was between seal lynx point and blue lynx point.   

The "and White" isn't talking about the tan/ beige body color.   It just means that she also has some white markings.  In a cat like her, where the white is just on the feet  (or the feet and only a small other bit of white) you can   say  "Mitted" in place of "and White".   

Last edited:

franksmom

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wow she looks a lot like my seal lynx point birman. I agree she does not look siamese but more like a birman or a mitted ragdoll. Where did you find her? It is very rare to find a pure bred on the streets as they are usually between $500-$2000, but she really is a clear birman look-a-like!

Here is a pic of my birman kitten at 12 weeks. 

Last edited: