New to raw - Is my cat's calcium intake too high?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

my_money_pit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
7.5 is a high pH. 7.0 is barely acceptable.

What would be helpful is if there was a normal urine test in the past, so you have a comparison?
It was the first time he had a urine test. We did 2 tests, I only got the pH from the first one. for some reason, the results of the second one which was done at a different clinic did not include the pH level! :S

F+V

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We went through something similar almost 2 years ago when Figaro was 3 years old. I saw him frequenting the toilet and suspected he was constipated because he wasn't blocked. He was diagnosed as having cystitis after x-ray, ultrasound, blood test and in house urinalysis and was given metacam and ordered to eat prescription diet (hills s/o, royal canin s/o, etc.) for a month even though the vet didn't find any stone or crystals. He recovered before we knew it. If there's presence of bacteria in urine, antibiotics is prescribed but otherwise anti-inflammatory medicine should be given to ease the pain.

My cats have been fed raw since they were kittens and their urine PH has always been alkaline around 7. Vet told me as long as MSDA/creatinine, BUN levels are normal and there's no stone, ph 7-7.5 is ok.

Last edited:

sophie1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Good to know, thanks F+V!

My vet isn't as forgiving about urine pH, but there's nothing to be done about it as long as the cat is otherwise ok, except to monitor. My cats get urinalysis with every visit now, and he has me using Pretty Litter which might help detect flare-ups. Also because of the urine pH issue, the vet has a lower bar treating any medical problems he finds, e.g. one of my cats is on Norvasc for mild hypertension.