New to raw feeding and have a few questions

kittylc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Everyone,

I've just discovered this site and I'm very grateful for all the information I've gained so far.

I've decided that I want to feed our kittens on a raw diet (we try and eat a primal diet most of the time so it seems sensible for the cats to as well). They are still with their breeders at the moment, they are British Shorthairs. One blue boy and one silver girl. They will be 12/14 weeks when we get them.

Our boy arrives next week but I'm unsure how to transition him onto the raw diet as he's been eating dry and tinned food and also some raw chicken mince and cooked thighs and breasts and boiled beef and kidney.

Should I get him some tinned food for while he settles in and add raw meat to that. Building up until he's on a total raw diet?

I don't want to stress him but I want to get him off the commerical food as soon as I can.

Any advice on how to make this transition would be great.

Many thanks

Kate

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have heard that kittens usually take to raw food quite well. If I were in your shoes I would try to transition directly to raw.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have heard that kittens usually take to raw food quite well. If I were in your shoes I would try to transition directly to raw.
:yeah: :nod: I'd find out what tinned food he's been eating and have some on hand, just in case. The stress of moving can sometimes cause some gastric upset.

Don't know if you've seen it, but there's a raw resource thread here with a lot of helpful links. And, of course, we're here for any questions! :wavey;

http://www.thecatsite.com/t/240809/raw-feeding-resource-thread

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

:yeah: :nod: I'd find out what tinned food he's been eating and have some on hand, just in case. The stress of moving can sometimes cause some gastric upset.

Don't know if you've seen it, but there's a raw resource thread here with a lot of helpful links. And, of course, we're here for any questions! :wavey;

http://www.thecatsite.com/t/240809/raw-feeding-resource-thread
:yeah:

Sounds a lot like what my Mac was eating at the rescue place. He was eating mainly wet, a tiny bit of dry and some raw - just a little.

He came home about 2 weeks ago and since I feed raw to my other 3, kibbles was a :nono:....... I bought his favorite canned just in case, but to be honest ( and thank goodness :nod:) I ended up returning it all on the next day. He was just fine going 100% raw from the 1st meal.
I made sure to put him on a strong probiotic, the same all my cats eat, and I also fed for a while the same raw he was eating at the rescue to not shock his system. Now after 2 weeks he is onboard on 100% home made and doing great :nod: