New to raw and allergic to fish.

jc21

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all! After dealing with constipation issues with my cats, I decided to switch them to raw. my cats eat both canned and kibble (I know bad cat mommy). I have a really busy schedule and work 10+ hours a day. One of my cat has a record of eating things he is not supposed (and had surgery because of this) if he is not fed on time. I feed them canned in the morning and night and have an automatic feeder that will dispense small amounts of kibble twice a day, usually around noon and 5 pm in case I can't get home around dinner time, I know they have food available.
A month or so ago, my cats got very nauseous after eating canned fish, the same brand they had always eating. At first I thought it was a bad batch, waited a few days and fed them a different brand. They were nauseous all day so I stopped feeding fish. I had to switch them to
Royal Canin sensity digest (full of by-products and corn), after they got better, I got a higher quality limited ingredient food and they were doing fine for a few days, but started with the nausea again. I was desperate and didn't know what to do, I thought they were allergic to chicken but they eat their chicken kibble just fine. I was reading the label of their new food and I found salmon oil as one of the ingredients. I am 90% sure that this is what was causing the nausea. I bought a bag of frozen raw food today (Stella and chewys duck, duck, goose dinner morsels) to start the transition, I sprinkled some forti-flora on top but they were not interested. One of them ate the food eventually. Once they fully transitioned to raw, I would like to start making my own cat raw food and I was wondering if I can skip the salmon/ fish oil or substitute it with something else. Also, is there any way that I can feed a combination of high quality grain free kibble and raw food? This is because of my work hours.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You do not have to put salmon oil in their raw food.   You can use plain old "fish oil" capsules.  Please note that fish oil is way different from "fish cat food". Many cats who have a reaction to fish in cat food can still eat fish oil. 

Have you seen this thread?  http://www.thecatsite.com/t/264154/raw-feeding-resources

As to feeding them kibble during the day....it's been done.  Supposedly kibble digests at a different rate than raw, so I've heard it's not advisable to feed them together, but if you are feeding one for "lunch", and the other for breakfast and dinner, I'd think you're ok.  I wonder what would happen if you used Nature's Variety Raw Boost as their lunch?  It's got kibble and freeze dried raw mixed together.