New to forum...have an unusual cat pee ?

knoxmami

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello... I have a question regarding my male, Kit, and his behavior in my basement....to give you some background, our house consists of the two leggeds: me, hubby, almost 5yo son and FIL (who lives in our basement) and the four leggeds: our 6y/o chesapeake bay retriever and Kit, our adopted domestic shorthair. Kit showed up on our doorstep three years ago very underweight with sores on his side and a crooked tail that our vet informed us had been broken in three places and amputated (unk cause) at the tip. He was already neutered and was previously litter trained. He did not have any problem adjusting to an indoor only life with the dog (we kept his claws ;p) or our hyper 4 y/o child. He is the most social cat that I've ever met, very loving and knows how to play gently and when the dog alerts us to visitors, the cat has to come see too. LOL

My problem is this: even with two litter boxes (1 up, 1 down) Kit has been having the occasional "accident" on the floor. I had been attributing it to my FIL not keeping his box clean (which is another problem I have, but not for this forum!) but he still had some moments even after I cleaned it, and he has NO problems using the upstairs box nor has he ever made on my floor upstairs. He has had a recent checkup at the vet, and because he is still eating/ peeing/ pooping normal upstairs I am ruling out UTI.

I have been reading others problems and I have yet to see one like mine. The closest I found was of another poster's cat peeing in their suitcase pre-vacation and of someone else's peeing on dirty laundry. One site I read mentioned cats marking in areas that are dirty or have stuff piled about, and as much as I hate to admit it, that is our basement. My FIL is not very good about organization, and his bathroom (also our laundry room) is not my idea of clean. Is this the likely cause of Kit's pee? He seems to do this when no one is looking (so hard to know if he is actually urinating or spraying) and it's always in the same area (near tub where rug and FIL leaves towels and near toilet) and when he does this it's very irregular... today was the first time he had such incident for the second day in a row. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to handle this? I'd love to have an excuse to get my FIL to pick up/ clean up or pay for a maid....but all joking aside, I can't have my cat peeing in my laundry room floor either. Thanks in advance for all suggestions/ comments and sorry for the long post!! ~Kim

rosieposie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When i was clinically depressed and forgot to clean out the cat litter one of my cats used to piddle everywhere it was messy.

Once my head was sorted out and got my life and housework back on track the cat stopped piddling everywhere and started to use his litter box again.

What is being used to clean up the cat wee? I cant remember what I used but it detered the cat from weeing in the naughty places.

Your cat isnt sick and knows how to wee in a litter box and obviously sees the basement as a large litter box.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

knoxmami

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Rosie... thanks for the insight....but as far as I know, my FIL isn't depressed. Lazy, yes. He does have some health issues, but non that prevent him from doing other things in life. He could clean up but doesn't. It is unfortunately one of those areas that I can't change right now in my life. As for cleaning up the wee...I have nature's miracle advanced for cats. It seems to do nicely on small jobs but has not seemed to deter the actual behavior. ~Kim