New to Feral Rescue Work

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

xomycatsxo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was thinking Animal Allies was the organization you were talking about. Has anyone heard of this organization?? I did a search and came up w/ two different websites so I'm not sure if it's even the right company.

Kind of confused.. any help would be great. I think I'm going to wait on getting more info from this lady though. Obviously it sounds like they are in great need of volunteers, and it's local so I'm sure this is the perfect answer for what I'm looking for. I'll keep everyone posted though. Again, any feedback on this org would be great.

Thanks!

xomycatsxo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I forgot to mention that when I took two of my kittens in for their first vet visit, the doctor said he and his wife (she also works at the practice) would be willing to volunteer some of their time to help alter ferals! I was so excited. Someone gave me the idea of gathering up several vets who would volunteer their time to do this (maybe like once a month or something) and so far, I have two and really haven't begun my soliciting!

I'm really excited about this. I'm waiting for a call back from that lady that e-mailed me from Animal Allies. It looks like it's a small operation but anything is better than nothing right now! I'll do what I can to make it bigger and get more volunteers. =)

All it takes is talking to people and considering how outgoing I am .. (I tell my whole life in about 5 minutes of meeting someone)... I don't think this will be a problem for me.

Wish me luck.. I'm getting a good head start I think.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by xomycatsxo

I forgot to mention that when I took two of my kittens in for their first vet visit, the doctor said he and his wife (she also works at the practice) would be willing to volunteer some of their time to help alter ferals! I was so excited. Someone gave me the idea of gathering up several vets who would volunteer their time to do this (maybe like once a month or something) and so far, I have two and really haven't begun my soliciting!

I'm really excited about this. I'm waiting for a call back from that lady that e-mailed me from Animal Allies. It looks like it's a small operation but anything is better than nothing right now! I'll do what I can to make it bigger and get more volunteers. =)

All it takes is talking to people and considering how outgoing I am .. (I tell my whole life in about 5 minutes of meeting someone)... I don't think this will be a problem for me.

Wish me luck.. I'm getting a good head start I think.
I would recommend that at first you participate in a TNR trapping session, observe a spay/neuter clinic and ask a LOT of questions....by working with a group, you will be agreeing to work within their policies which may be different than your own beliefs. Also....be aware that as a volunteer...you may have little influence on the decisions that are made within the group. So it would be best to first participate as an observer before making a commitment. I was very lucky in that both groups that I actively participate with are ones that I agree with their policies..but I've also run into people who started with a group and then got very annoyed when they felt they were not considered during the decisions made within the group or they discovered that the group did things that they did not agree with. This area is one where burnout happens often. Also...I'm a very extroverted person as well and I just want you to be aware that as many successful experiences as you will have with the public...you will also run into brick walls, people who don't care and people who will think you are crazy to care so much. Just know that everyone who is involved in rescue has these experiences and we are all here for each other.

Katie

xomycatsxo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Something was wrong w/ my notifications and I am just now seeing this.

Thanks Katie. You said it exactly.. I am definitely learning SOOO much more than I did a month ago! I've done TONS of research.

I really wish there was an Alley Cat Allies in my area- everything I've read so far I really agree with. I think the group I am going to be working with agrees to a certain extent as well - they just don't have the funds to do some of the things others do. They don't give any rabies shots, etc.- which I think should be done. I also think rescue work should be done and their take on it is they don't have enough time to worry about that, they only have the resources to worry about TNR. They will work w/ kittens and get them adopted out (by using a local shelter) and adults that are easily adoptable they bring to the shelter, if they have room.

Thanks again. I'm so sorry I haven't been in touch yet, it has been so crazy here!

Originally Posted by TNR1

I would recommend that at first you participate in a TNR trapping session, observe a spay/neuter clinic and ask a LOT of questions....by working with a group, you will be agreeing to work within their policies which may be different than your own beliefs. Also....be aware that as a volunteer...you may have little influence on the decisions that are made within the group. So it would be best to first participate as an observer before making a commitment. I was very lucky in that both groups that I actively participate with are ones that I agree with their policies..but I've also run into people who started with a group and then got very annoyed when they felt they were not considered during the decisions made within the group or they discovered that the group did things that they did not agree with. This area is one where burnout happens often. Also...I'm a very extroverted person as well and I just want you to be aware that as many successful experiences as you will have with the public...you will also run into brick walls, people who don't care and people who will think you are crazy to care so much. Just know that everyone who is involved in rescue has these experiences and we are all here for each other.

Katie