New to Cats, trying to save a life

nursedoggett

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by dan10101

Yea, why is that? Why can't dogs learn to use a box, or cats learn to go outside?

Has anyone ever setup the box outside? We have a nice covered patio that might work. Tiger usually spends an hour or so each day in the backyard anyway.

Sure would make Mom happy not to have the box in my office. (me too)
My big mainecoon has learned to go outside. He meows at the door (if you ignore him, he meows in your face!), and he goes out for about 10-15 minutes, and meows to come back in. He goes out about 6 times a day. He will still use the litter pan if no one is home to let him out.

nursedoggett

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by dan10101

His problem isn't using the litter box. He has that down pat. Even a bit excessive at times.

Yes, I got it at Walmart. Didn't know it was their brand. So far it's just a bit too fine. Causes a bit of dust and paw prints. We'll give it chance to see if it cures the odor problems.

He has a new name. "Mr Kitty" anyone under 20 should know this one...

So now we have: Tiger, Sassy, Kitty, Comere, Logan, Hey You, "Cat!", "Get Down!" and "Mr Kitty". The feline doesn't know who he is, or probably care...
LOL!!
My mainecoon thinks his name is Dammit.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My cat thinks her name is "Get down from there" and "NO!"

Actually, when she was a kitten, we took several empty and washed out Coke cans and filled them with some dried pinto beans. We then taped the top closed with duct tape. When she was somewhere she wasn't supposed to be, we'd shake the can and then tell her "NO!". The rattling noise got her attention, and then the NO taught her that her behavior was inappropriate. (In my dreams anyway!) Sometimes, we'd line the counter with them, but about 2" or so back from the edge. When she'd jump, she'd land in the middle of the cans and that would scare her and she'd hop down.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dan10101

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's interesting, we had a friend tell us the same thing today. (Beans in a can)

So many of our friends want to take him home but can't.

She also suggested a bean bag that would be a reward toy, kinda like they do to train dogs.

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG I loveeeee this thread I just sat here for an hour and a half reading this from beginning to end. I cant wait for the next update on kitty. And as for your wife she will come around...My BF was adament no pets and now we have 3 cats and a dog and the day before we rescued GiGi he said NO MORE CATS! and then Franklin our mini doxie found her by the barn and its been heaven ever since. I think its an amazing thing what you and your family has done for this kitten and I think you are all amazing ppl!! Keep the updates coming I look forward to reading more!

*Tyler*

angelyco

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just read this thread from start to finish. You are amazing for taking in such a young baby and he turned out just fine! I hope your wife comes around. Hopefully she'll get discouraged from trying to find a home for him--he has a perfectly good one right where he is.

One suggestion though, if you continue to let him go outside, make sure you are treating him with flea medication once a month, fleas are a problem your wife would NOT want to deal with! It's much cheaper to spend the $5-10/month than all of the time and money it takes to get rid of an infestation.

I know it seems he is expensive to care for right now, but once all of his initial shots, testing, neutering, etc. are all done, cat care becomes much more manageable (barring any unforeseen accidents or illnesses). My mom is disabled and on a very fixed income but she is able to care for her cat--even considering that she has a longhair that needs professional grooming once in a while.

What kind of Special Kitty litter are you using? Clay or scoopable/clumping? I would highly recommend using scoopable litter if you aren't already, it makes managing the smell much easier and you don't have to completely change the litter box as often since you would scoop out the messes. It costs more up front, but you save money in the long run from not having to change the box as often.

dan10101

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I worry about fleas too. That would be bad...

I'm using the clumping litter from Wallmart. Seems ok so far.

We did have an accident today. He was exploring my Son's room this evening and decided to pee on the plastic bag that was on the floor. Really went at it, not like he was spraying. He hasn't sprayed at all so far, so maybe it just got out of control. Actually this is the first time he's gone out of the litter box since he was trained. Anyway, we didn't overreact too bad, but he knew he was in trouble. He was very quiet for at least an hour.

He has been a bit of a rebel lately. I'm finding him on every piece of furniture we own except the refrigerator, (but I'm sure he'll figure out a way). Scratching has gotten worse, I need to do something before he ruins our new couch.

I'm glad other people are getting benefit from this thread, I know I do..

nursedoggett

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It seems like at that age they are really testing their boundaries, and our patience, too.
Have you looked into neutering? It will help calm some of that down, and stop spraying before it stops.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my vets has a cat who delights in peeing on plastic bags - her whole family has now learned to put any plastic bags away right NOW!! It may be something about the slick surface that attracts them.

My boy has occasional lapses with the box - I try to make sure I tell him he's such a good boy when he gets back to the box.

Do you know how to trim his nails? Your vet's tech will probably be very happy to show you for a nominal, if any, fee. Also, may be time to introduce a scratching post - usually it's best to put it in a room he enjoys (normally where the family is) and near where he scratches (let's say, the sofa arm). Once his attention is transferred to the post, you can gradually move it to a preferred site, but, again, someplace in the room that he enjoys most.

And, is he getting to the weight he can be neutered? And, I've found my two on top of the fridge - and they are fixed!

dan10101

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Neutering is happening real soon. He's big enough by most accounts.

We had guests over and one of them has cats. She offered to trim the nails for us. I just need to get a proper tool to do the job safely. He didn't much care for it, but tough...

Everyone likes playing with the kitty. He got lots of attention today, he's pooped...

For some reason I recall something about plastic bags in the past with pets. We'll keep them out of reach and hope this curbs further accidents. It really took us by surprise because normally he's real good.

dan10101

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Don't have the little one any more..

Have a Big one now!
He keeps growing and growing. Still acts like a kitten though. He's doing well climbing on everything. Goes spastic at times and mellow at others.

Either my son will take him or maybe my brother in law. Whoever gets a place first. But eventually he'll be leaving my home.

Question of the day. Can a cat control his own tail?

Here's a current picture (about 3 minutes ago)

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's gorgeous! Sooooo... I guess that means the wife doesn't want him around then, eh? That's sad. But if he goes to someone you know, you can visit him.

dan10101

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AddieBee

He's gorgeous! Sooooo... I guess that means the wife doesn't want him around then, eh? That's sad. But if he goes to someone you know, you can visit him.
Often...
I love my baby...

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, you scared me! But, at least he stays in the family and he'll be well cared for and loved - and he's gorgeous - you and your family have done a wonderful job. I'm sorry he won't be staying with you, but glad you'll be there to be his 'guardian angel' when he does go to his new home.

p&r

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I just want to say thank you SO much for taking him in, it's a wonderful thing you do. I've taken in many strays (as well as new born strays people have found and brought to me as they call me their personal "pet whisperer", lol. I'm sorry you're not able to keep him but at least you will get to see him continue to grow. Ya'll have done such an amazing job and he's such a handsome little man! As far as going potty outside, the last 3 cats I've had(mine, not fosters) have been outdoor potty cats, I think they learn from watching my dogs go and it's easy for me since I let my dogs out about every 2-3 hours or the back door stays open so they have access to go potty then come right back in. As far as peeing on the bags go, good luck with that. I had a cat that started to do that after I stared using the bag liners in his litter box, then it became a bit of an "obession" with him untill I got him fixed, then he was better. Good luck with him in the future =0)

lovemykitty3

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Tiger has gotten big! I remember seeing those first pics of the little baby kitty that fit in one hand. He's a handsome boy
I love tabbies