New to cats and new to tcs

cath

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I am the lowly servant of Sayuri - a beautiful black and white long-haired domestic. Sayuri came to me in mid-August after her previous owner died. Sayuri is about nine years old and has the softest fur imaginable. She is my first kitty and it's been quite a learning curve. She has gone through several personality changes since I got her. In the beginning she was incredibly docile and craved affection. I think she was struggling with all the changes - moving apartments, changing owners etc. Gradually her personality emerged as she began to feel more secure. She has a temper! Lately, however, her claws and teeth have been making a constant appearance. I have, I admit, been guilty of cuddling her too much. Now she shuns every attempt to pick her up for a cuddle and immediately bites, hisses and swipes. She's a gorgeous cat but I fear I have turned her into a monster by petting her too much! Help!!! I need advice!

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi and welcome to TCS
. I hope you enjoy your stay with us. You will find some helpful and knowledgeable people on this site. Congratulations on adopting your new cat. If you ever have time, we all would love to see photo's

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS, I recently just adopted a rescue Audrey and wasn't sure what to expect, she had come from a home with another can but nothing as exhuberant as my other cat Jasper so I have allowed her to get to know him at her own rate.

She is overly affectionate with me from the start head butting, licking, kneeding and just in general loving me. When she approaches me I pet her but I give her her own space and leave her alone when she wants. Being owned by a cat is an excersise in patience and cats change their minds all the time.

last night she was licking softening and rubbing against me and a minute later she growled and I felt her teeth against my hand. I hadn't done anything different than what I had been doing but she decided that was it. so i stopped.

Your cat might be testing her boundaries and limits when it comes to you. When she gets like that I would cease what your doing and leave her alone until she comes to you for attention again. It's almost like she is training you if you understand what I mean. Like saying "Okay now, I want 5 minutes of petting and then to sit here undisturbed for an hour" she is basically telling you when your 5 minutes is up.

captiva

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Has she been to the vet? It really could mean that she's not feeling well for some reason.

Welcome to the site

flisssweetpea

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi there
we're so happy to get the chance to welcome you and your kitty to TCS. I'm sure you'll enjoy your stay with us - we're one great big family and you'll find loads of friends here. If I can help at all while you're finding your way around TCS just click on my username and send me a Personal Message - I'll do what I can to answer your questions.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cath

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the replies. Sayuri has been to the vet so I think her behaviour is an attempt to 'train me'! I guess I have a lot to learn! Knowing that cats change their minds all the time and need you to be patient with them makes sense. I'm learning she like to be scratched around her ears but is not so keen on prolonged full-body strokes or being picked up for more than about 5 seconds

I moved her scratch post to a new location last night and seems to like the new spot. She wasn't using it before or playing with her toys so I was worried she was under-stimulated. We'll see how it works for her. She is allowed to go outside with me now, whereas before she never went outside - so I think she is also going through a learning curve of 'finding her feet' with the other cats in the complex. She has to learn to become socialized - she's very curious but is not happy with other cats. Thanks again! Will post a pic soon.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cath

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, it seems my account does not have the privileges to allow me to post pics? What's going in and how do I go about rectifying this?