New to cat grooming

fidola

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I all! I'm the proud mom of a 6 mo medium length hair kitten. I've only had DSHs previously. I just noticed Gracie has a couple of small mats in her private area.
In the future what type of brush/comb and schedule should I be grooming her.
I thought she was taking care of things "down there" [emoji]128576[/emoji]!

Thanks for the help!!!

lucytaylor

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a ragdoll, same age as your cat and she sometimes gets mats because she has really long hair. I talked to the vet and I was told to get one that was not to hard as 6months is still quite young, but the brush I have works very well. It has soft bristles and can really get the mats out. I was told by vet to groom at least once a day for my ragdoll. Your cat seems to have the same amount of hair as mine so this would probably be a good schedule to follow. 

Hope this helped a little.

Lucy

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fidola

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a ragdoll, same age as your cat and she sometimes gets mats because she has really long hair. I talked to the vet and I was told to get one that was not to hard as 6months is still quite young, but the brush I have works very well. It has soft bristles and can really get the mats out. I was told by vet to groom at least once a day for my ragdoll. Your cat seems to have the same amount of hair as mine so this would probably be a good schedule to follow. 

Hope this helped a little.

Lucy
Thanks Lucy that helps a lot. I had no idea that I was getting a longer haired cat when I adopted her [emoji]128569[/emoji]! As I said before my other cats were DSH and for some reason I just "assumed" she would be also!!!

Thanks again!!

This is a pic at 8 weeks. I was told all kittens were "fluffy".

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm using human hair brush that is completely plastic, there is soft cushion like brushes tends to have and because no metal parts it seems to be better received by the cats than those pet brushes that tends to have metal parts.

What I have found out is that it is not enough to just brush direction of fur like one normally pets the cat, with long winter coat only way to get into coat is to kind of twist wrist so that brush is rolling around the handle without moving brush to other directions much, for example on cat's back I have to roll to both directions, first from back to nose (against the fur) and then from nose to back (along the fur). It is bit hard to explain really, but instead swiping I try to dig into coat, that way I get to under layer where matting starts.

As my cats are originally ferals, they are not tolerating too much of brushing and those that have longer fur are also more shy than shorter fur ones, so it makes matters even more challenging, however we are learning and cats do enjoy the results.

It takes lot of time to brush one long haired one fully, I have to split that to several sessions during the day because cats don't co operate too well, but also it takes long time because it is needed to go over same spot many times to sort all that fur that is beginning to tangle, also brush does only tiny spot at the time, undercoat is so thick and on top of that is lots of fur. So it is more than an hour a day, during winter pretty much each day or there will be matting.

Of course in more humid and warm areas and with cats that don't go outdoors it might be bit easier.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We have a long hair domestic Tortie, Cocoabean.  She tends to get mats in her armpit area mostly. That area is not easy for the cat to get to.  We have an arsenal of grooming tools.  My favorite is the Furminator which I highly recommend.  I also use a metal comb and a soft brush.  Yesterday I added a Zoom Groom to the list and both of ours LOVE it.  Last, we have a mat cutter also.  There are times when I've had to cut them out and, have had a few poops get stuck on her britches - it's great for taking those off too (I cover my hand in a paper towel and "saw" off a good amount of fur nearer to her skin to take those off).

Getting into a routine while she's still a kitten is a good idea.  Most cats that are acclimated young will learn to enjoy being groomed.  I don't know the background on that for either of ours but they both really love it.  Cocoa will roll over and let me get every inch of her.

Being as she's still quite young, I'd start off with the most gentle way (the Zoom Groom might be a good start) and give her some treats too. This will help her associate grooming with good things. If you do it every couple of days, mats probably won't build up.  I spend maybe 5 minutes on it, giving Cocoa a good going over - it doesn't take all that long - you're not preparing her for a cat show.  Our short hair guy, we do once a week or so. 

highpriestess

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What a beauty.  My ex-partner had a very similar cat and we used a firm rubber brush.  We would execute the brushing in the garden when warm and dry and would gather handfuls of fur!  The cat, Austin, loved the massage feeling.  Sadly he was put down in 2013 after being hit ny a van.