New rug..how do I keep Mittens from scratching it??

myrnafaye

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I just got a new area rug and already I am finding that one of my cats, Mittens, has been scratching on it and pulling up fibers.  How can I keep her from doing this?  And yes, I have several scratching posts. 

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
How about a deterrent spray like this?  http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=1093

I haven't tried this formula, but I used this company's "no go" spray to stop a cat from peeing in a corner he seemed to like and it worked. 

Or trying horizontal scratch mats in the place where Mittens likes to scratch?  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

myrnafaye

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I was hoping to find a spray that works; the Foster and Smith formula does not get very high marks, nor does the one on Amazon....I have heard that cats do not like citrus...

myrnafaye

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks, I will get hold  of a couple of these...I do have some cardboard ones but they just lie on the floor -  both cats like those..

erica37

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Make a really loud noise when you see your cat doing it.  I got new couches and the cats liked to attack the button.  So I downloaded an Airhorn app and every time they tried to attack the buttons I would blow the airhorn. 

myrnafaye

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She does it when  I am not there.  otherwise this would be an easier problem.

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Make a really loud noise when you see your cat doing it.  I got new couches and the cats liked to attack the button.  So I downloaded an Airhorn app and every time they tried to attack the buttons I would blow the airhorn. 
I really wouldn't do that. Cats have very sensitive hearing, loud noises are amplified greatly to a cat. Such punishment rarely works (only in very specific circumstances) and only serves to stress out kitties and teaches them to fear you.

erica37

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cats are very socialized yet mischievous (because they are young) and not scared of me one bit. If i just yell NO, they don't care and go on about their business. I admit for scaredy cats, that are already innately fearful, it might not be a good idea. But all cats are different. My cats don't get scared of anything in the house and I call it "Conditioning," not punishment. If there is a behavior they are doing, that causes an unwanted response, they are going to stop doing it. Also they don't even know where the noise is coming from. They just hear it and then stop doing it. I think it is important to know how sensitive an individual animal is and act accordingly, but you also can't let your cat have the run of the house and destroy all your furniture.

Oh and another thing I have done, is yelled "NO" when they scratch something I don't want them to and then redirect them to the scratch post. That works pretty good too.

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
 But all cats are different. My cats don't get scared of anything in the house and I call it "Conditioning," not punishment.
Call it whatever you want, but the fact is that it's a stressor, and while it does work in certain circumstances (like in yours it seems), I'm careful not to recommend using startlingly loud noises or spray bottles, because more often than not, it backfires. If it works on your cats, good for you, but to recommend it to everyone is a tad dangerous.

erica37

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was just making a suggestion based on personal experience, not recommending it to everyone. I'm by no means an expert. Obviously, we all have to use good judgement, based on the individual personality of the cat, and not just blindly do what people suggest. I found that spray bottles work pretty good as well. Lound noises and spray bottles have been the only thing that works for me. I've had four cats over time and they all have been super well adjusted chill cats, with zero emotional scarring.