New Roommate

nicoles

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sally is 4 & an only child 😂 She is afraid of a lot of people (mostly…everyone except like my mom). I’ve had her since she was a baby, we’ve moved twice and she has adjusted so well both times- she’s a good girl.

Yesterday however, my best friend moved cross country and moved in with us. No one has ever lived with us before. This will be permanent (or at least for quite awhile!) as we had both decided to do this to help finances and be able to get a much nicer, safer place. Sally loves the new apartment- and my room (the master) is basically her haven, her food is in there and the litter box is in my bathroom. She has her sleeping spots where she naps all day snuggled in a blanket in my closet.

She’s of course scared now that a new person is in here. My best friend has made sure not to come in my room, so Sally knows this room is still her safe place. I still feed her same times, I keep all her normal stuff on the same schedule. She didn’t come out much yesterday as expected, although last night she did go out in the living room and sniff around after we went to bed.

Is there anything else I can do to help her adjust? Am I already doing it? Since this is the first time I’ve had anyone move in before, how long should I expect her to be wary of her?

I appreciate any tips…I over worry about about everything that stresses her out, and really want her to know she’s safe and okay.

Pic of my little love 🥰
75CEF9B2-BF51-4475-BA19-E5A5CD477473.jpeg

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As long as your roommate postpones band practice, vaccuming, Irish dancing and the like, things will surely be fine. When the cat starts to come out, a bit of effort to avoid sudden movements and loud noises would be good. If you want to speed things up further, your roommate could put the food down. And maybe in a day or two throw some treats & try to use the toys to get her to play.

The only real mistake she might make is thinking that once the cat gets a little more outgoing, she can do all the same things you do with the cat. Which isn't necessarily true, and could set things back. Basically, she should force nothing and let things happen at the cat's pace -- i.e. no grabbing, picking up, putting on lap, until the cat seems ready.

But really I wouldn't worry about it too much. It will be fine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nicoles

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
As long as your roommate postpones band practice, vaccuming, Irish dancing and the like, things will surely be fine. When the cat starts to come out, a bit of effort to avoid sudden movements and loud noises would be good. If you want to speed things up further, your roommate could put the food down. And maybe in a day or two throw some treats & try to use the toys to get her to play.

The only real mistake she might make is thinking that once the cat gets a little more outgoing, she can do all the same things you do with the cat. Which isn't necessarily true, and could set things back. Basically, she should force nothing and let things happen at the cat's pace -- i.e. no grabbing, picking up, putting on lap, until the cat seems ready.

But really I wouldn't worry about it too much. It will be fine.
Thank you. I feel like I’m over thinking it which she probably senses I’m worried LOL, when I’m reality she’s going to adjust soon and be fine.

My best friend is a big cat person so she wants to introduce herself right & is letting Sally do everything at her own pace.