new puppy

cuddles14

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hello all
my cuddle cat is 10 in 8 days!
seems like yesterday I brought her home.
shes grown into a right tortoiseshell!!

we brought a springador puppy home Saturday night. he's loverly.
I bought all the cat plug ins baby gates with cat doors the lot.

I knew she'd be a bit pi**ed off but she is better than I thought.

the problem is she hasn't had a poo.
puppy stays downstairs and Cuddles has her room - otherwise known as spare room - and our room.
shes not a outside cat she very rarely goes out.

she has her litter and food toys everything in spare room.

she is eating n drinking. wen ever my partner is home to occupy the puppy I'm upstairs fussing and petting her.

she doesn't his at the smell of him coz ill cuddle puppy downstairs then go up n pick cuddles up and she purrs.

at night puppy in cage - cuddles looks into our room doesn't quite come in.

she has seen him though baby gates and I gave them both treats eigther side.

she hasn't pooped since Saturday night - im getting concerned.

any one had puppy's n older cats can give me tips advice litterly anything!!!!

thank you

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I can't advise you regarding puppies and cats, but I would highly suggest that you search around for poop somewhere besides the litter box. It is that or she is constipated, especially if she normally tends to go daily. Food changes can cause constipation, for example. Odds are that there would be other behavior changes if the puppy was upsetting her to the degree to stop her from pooping.

Is the puppy allowed to roam the house at any time, or at least into the room where her litter box is? Could he be eating her poop?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Is it at all possible that she has been going outside of the box, and the puppy is eating it? They are known for that.

Pywacket21

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had to get a top covered litter box to keep my 8# Maltese from eating the cat’s poop. Found it on Amazon.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cuddles14

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
nah they have never been in the same room.

cats upstairs in spare room - puppy only goes in crate upstairs

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cuddles14

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've herd Catnip helps as it is "relaxing" maybe getting her high is the cure for a poop!!!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Catnip can act either as a 'sedative' or a 'stimulant' depending on the cat. Is she peeing in the litter box? Has she been outside at all since the time you said she stopped pooping? Has her litterbox been moved since the puppy arrived? You mentioned something about her not coming into your room at night - is that where the puppy is, and her litter box used to be in there? Maybe she was used to pooping at night but won't go in there because of the puppy. Just some additional questions and thoughts in case that helps trigger some ideas for you.

If she is not prone to having multiple days between poops, then you might call the vet and ask their opinion. You could try a dose (1/8 tsp) of Miralax and see what happens. But the bottom line is you have to go through all the changes and see how they might fit to her lack of litter box use. If you don't find out the reason, it is probably going to continue to be a problem.
How To Safely Introduce A Cat And A Dog – TheCatSite Articles