New Puppy

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is my new puppy. We just got him about an hour ago so he doesn't have a name yet. He is a basenji/jack russell mix and hes 5 weeks old.

His first meeting with Milo.

I just gave him a bath and now hes asleep in my lap.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Milo and Zebra so far don't seem to mind but the puppy has just been sitting on my lap pretty much since we got home.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, hes cute! But so young!!! Puppies aren't supposed to leave their families until AT LEAST 8 weeks old. There are so many things they learn from their mom and siblings in those few weeks, like bite inhibition. You'll have a lot of training to do in that regard. I got my first dog when she was 6 weeks old, and she was terrible about biting. You're also going to have your hands full with that breed mix!!!! He'll be an active little tornado!

Have fun with the little guy!

lovemytrent

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Definitely a cutie! Love the white tipped paws... looks like he may be a handful soon

Will agree with Willowy, though - 5 weeks is much, much too young. Even if the mother rejected her pups, he still should have stayed with littermates to learn bite inhibition/pack dynamics/etc. Good luck with him!

ink

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A little young to be away from momma but quite adorable. Love his white toes. I hope you are ready to keep him very entertained and keep his mind busy.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One caution (and the pup is pretty darn cute). With JRT's and would guess a JRT mix - you have to be very careful with them and cats. They can easily hurt or kill a cat - even if raised as a pup.

I would caution you to train well and early and IMO never leave the pup alone with the cats if you are not around to supervise - crate the pup or keep it in a separate room.

ink

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, unfortunately that can be a problem with the JRT breed. There have been accounts of JRTs suddenly killing the cats they have lived with for several years. Of course this pup is mix and so hopefully won't get that part of the JRT personality.

bean

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cute baby! Get him around as many dogs as possible as soon as possible. He needs to know how dogs talk to each other for his own social skills as well as for training. And keep a leash on the little monkey - both of those breeds are notorious runners!

One thing I tell all of my puppy clients is to get a light cord about fifteen feet long and let them drag it when you have them outside. If he starts to follow a scent or get to running you can just step on the line and call him back to you. Start with it NOW and use it until he is four or five months (switch to a heavier line when he is a little older), that way he will never learn he can get away from you.

Good luck with him, he'll be a handful but a fun little guy!

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww, he is gorgeous, 5 weeks is a bit young though to be leaving his mum but I'm sure you will be his new mummy
.xx

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by bean

Cute baby! Get him around as many dogs as possible as soon as possible. He needs to know how dogs talk to each other for his own social skills as well as for training.
Yesterday we brought him to my in laws house. They have 3 dogs and Dexter just hid in the corner and then behind the couch for a while. He eventually came out and then went to sleep.

He will be 7 weeks tomorrow.