New problem- Kittens missing!

jayci77

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh, my goodness, I have never had this much trouble with a mama cat!! Ok, the two cats were doing fine together, mama cat Sasha and female fixed Katrina except for Katrina hissing at Sasha since Sasha and the kits coming home from the vet yesterday. So, I let them both roam the house freely while I kept an eye, and then I had to leave for a few hours this am. I got back at 1pm and Sasha was at the door waiting (a usual thing for her) and when I went to check on kittens, they were gone. I looked everywhere I could think of!! I listened for meows in every room. Then I waited, thinking Sasha would go off to feed them. After an hour, she still hadn't. She went to look in the basket a few times, and came to me a meowed, but never left my sight. When I went searching for kittens several times, she followed. Katrina usually stayed close by too. I called the vet, who said they'd call back, but I had to leave before they did. I just got home 20 min. ago, Sasha waiting at the door, still no sign of kits, and msg. from vet said lock her up 1/2 to 1 hr and she should be worried about kits and go to them. So, she is locked up now in cat carrier and I hope this works. Right now I feel like the biggest worry wart!!

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by jayci77

Oh, my goodness, I have never had this much trouble with a mama cat!! Ok, the two cats were doing fine together, mama cat Sasha and female fixed Katrina except for Katrina hissing at Sasha since Sasha and the kits coming home from the vet yesterday. So, I let them both roam the house freely while I kept an eye, and then I had to leave for a few hours this am. I got back at 1pm and Sasha was at the door waiting (a usual thing for her) and when I went to check on kittens, they were gone. I looked everywhere I could think of!! I listened for meows in every room. Then I waited, thinking Sasha would go off to feed them. After an hour, she still hadn't. She went to look in the basket a few times, and came to me a meowed, but never left my sight. When I went searching for kittens several times, she followed. Katrina usually stayed close by too. I called the vet, who said they'd call back, but I had to leave before they did. I just got home 20 min. ago, Sasha waiting at the door, still no sign of kits, and msg. from vet said lock her up 1/2 to 1 hr and she should be worried about kits and go to them. So, she is locked up now in cat carrier and I hope this works. Right now I feel like the biggest worry wart!!
Hopefully that will work....oftentimes mom cats will move their kittens if they feel threatened or if they are in a location where they feel there is too much traffic.

Katie

kumbulu

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Jayci, have the kitten been found?

I know this is a horrible thought but Katrina may have done something to them, either moved them to a place that you and Sasha cannot get to them or she may have even killed them. The hissing tells me that Katrina is not at all comfortable with the situation. I really do hope that this is not the case and the kittens will be found safe and well. You may have to isolate Sasha and the kittens so that Katrina does not have access to them, just to be safe.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yep, that was my thought as well. The two cats should have been separated until after the kittens have been weaned. Prior to weaning, the kittens are vulnerable to many dangers. Mother and kittens should have had quiet and private time alone, especially with the hostile tendencies of the other female. I suspect you may not find any kittens and hope I am wrong.

kathylou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
wait a minute. Shouldn't Katrina be locked up and Sasha free to go to the kittens? Also even if Katrina did something to them, there would be SOMETHING to find.

leto86

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know we had a case of momma cat actually EATING her own babies after they returned from the vet.. I don't know why she did it.. luckily we caught her and saved two of them.

Hope the babies are alright!

stampit3d

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ive always known that male cats would kill kittens to cause the mother cat to go back into heat...and i`ve heard of mother cats killing kittens when there was something wrong with them...but i`ve never known that another female would kill some other cats kittens. I thought thye always tried to steer clear of the mom and babies for fear of the mom attacking her.
Please let us know what is happening, will you?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jayci77

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry it took so long to get back, I lost the board!! I found the babies though, thank god!! They were buried in a closet, under a box lid, which was under a pile of sheets. Sasha never went to them, but I finally heard the kittens crying while making one of my rounds of the house. I don't know which cat moved them there, but after that I kept both bedroom doors closed so the kittens couldn't be moved out of the living room or bathroom. Sasha has kept them in the coat closet since then, and now Sasha and Katrina are getting along fine. No more hissing, and they'll eat from the same dish at the same time again. I'll post some pics as soon as I get batteries for the cam!

kathylou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh Halelujia!

I thought maybe you didn't like us or something. I'm so glad you found them and everybody is doing good! Yes, Please post pictures as soon as you can.