New pet carrier, vet visit tomorrow, how do you all do it without your cat hating you?

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
so i have been using this very basic "carrier" (which is basically just a plastic basket with lid)

i o

i got when i was taking care of Sniper who was a kitten and it was spacious for him. with Rivel, i had to go with it until the new carrier arrived, which was a nightmare for both of us. basically involving me scruffing her neck (which i HATE to do) and hold her with considerable strength and quickly closed the lid, sometimes resulting in my scratched hand and one grumpy kitty.

last week the real carrier arrived:
dogit-pet-voyageur-mediano-gris-55x35x30-voyageur_1_g.jpg

i have been leaving it around, feeding rivel in front of it the past few days, but it's like been only 5 days or so i don't think she acclimatize to it yet as she doesn't want to enter. i also put it in socially significant places, in my bedroom near her scratching post, then in the day, i put it beside the sofa where she usually hangs out in the day.

so how do you do it? every vet visit give me anxiety because i am afraid i would traumatize her and she will hate me forever lol (though she always come around)

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Unlike others here on TCS, I don't leave the carriers out. I keep both in the closet which the cats do have access to but they hardly ever go in. When it's time for the vet, I put both cats in the bathroom and close the door. Then I take the carriers out. I carefully open the bathroom door, get one cat, exit bathroom while making sure the other cat isn't trying to escape out and close door, and put the cat in the carrier securely. Repeat for the next cat. Both cats complain while in the carrier but most cats do. Once home after the vet, the cats don't act any differently.

Some people like to spray or wipe down the inside of the carrier with Feliway or Bach's Rescue Remedy to help keep the cat calm. I've never used either.

PMousse

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I leave the carrier out. I started throwing treats first in front of it at first, then after a few days I started throwing treats inside the carrier. My cat would go in and eat them then backing out quickly, but over time I found him napping in the carrier sometimes. So at least for me it helps to leave the carrier outside.

I also spray it with Feliway shortly before the vet visit. Whether that's helpful or not is hard to say.

When it comes to actually stuffing my cat into the carrier for the vet visit, it's always met with resistance. I've just accepted the fact that it's going to be this way, and try to make the vet visit as quickly as possible. My cat doesn't hold grudges though; if he's not happy about it he'll get over it quickly.

GreyLady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well the easy way is to get them used to running in the carrier after treats. But before I got Grey and Noodle used to doing this, I would

1.) Put the carrier with the opening facing up in a room where the cat doesnt see it or know you took it out. If it isnt top load this means having it standing on the back with the front facing the ceiling

2.) Pick up your cat and cover his face with your hand

3.) quickly plop him in the carrier with his face covered before he can see it and freak out or run away and close the door.

Kitty will not be happy but will get over it.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i let my girfriend do the stuffing graycie into the carrier:lol:first few times graycie hissed and showed resentment against her and not me hehe.but. i lost the use of an arm so it has to be girlfriendplus girlfriend is scared to get bit or scratched so i zip the lid or keep her in the carrier while lid is closed its one of those duffel bag types our system is still a work in progress since graycie is wise to nail trimming time each month now she knows once her nails get sharp and long again its that time for her vet visit. soon as she gets home round trip usually not more than 15 minutes she gets treats soon as she takes a break from rescenting the whole apartment.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't leave mine out either. It's kept downstairs in a closet. I just grab it when needed. Put the cats in and go. They don't seem to mind it nor the car ride which I find really strange (but am so thankful for it!). All my other cats hated the carrier and the car and would cry/poop as soon as we were out the door. I do put a little cat bed in the carrier so maybe that helps calm them?? Don't know.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Last time i store the crate, she ran at the sight of it. So this time, while there is basically a chance to start anew, i want to familiarize her with it. Ugh, feliway is a product i wish i have access too. I look at importing but shipping is more than the product cost -_-

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A carrier with a top door as well as the typical side / front door will make putting a cat in a lot easier. I'm not sure if you can get those in your country.

Try covering the top and sides carrier with a towel but leave the door open. The carrier might look more like a fun box to play in than a scary thing. Maybe rubbing some catnip in the carrier will help, too.

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
A carrier with a top door as well as the typical side / front door will make putting a cat in a lot easier. I'm not sure if you can get those in your country.

Try covering the top and sides carrier with a towel but leave the door open. The carrier might look more like a fun box to play in than a scary thing. Maybe rubbing some catnip in the carrier will help, too.
Yeah too bad i didn't get the double door carriers. The old was was top door basket, and it was still a pain to get her in there.

She is getting more and more frustrated in her cone, i would consult the vet about alternatives tomorrow. Basically there is a spot she want to scratch but cannot because of the cone.

The sutures will be removed tomorrow i hope we can ditch the cone forever. It give me anxiety that she will hurt herself trying to get out.

It is especially hard at night because i cannot sleep and i cannot drain her energy with playing because she isn't allowed to.

Mama to the crew

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I cover it with something catch the cat put them in it and off to the vet. They will read a lot into your energy. So remain calm about everything.

Most of my cats throw a fit while in the carrier but once we get back home and they can run off for a bit to pout they are fine.

But if your wanting to make the cat really comfortable. Not only leave it out under a cover but make it part of a game toss a toy into it or a treat to get them to enter it. Then put them in it off and on with the door locked then let them eventually they'll be fine.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I would always put it out a day or 2 before and place a clean blankie in it but first I would
rub it all over my neck so they could smell my scent. I would also put catnip on blankie.

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have Delilah in a onesie post surgery. She tolerates that much better than the cone. She has figured out the velcro keeps it closed and will pull at it. Just make sure you get one with a drawstring on the neck. I got one that didn't and she wriggled out of it through the neck.

As to the carrier, I have a 2 door and drop her in the top. I just have to get her when she's calm, and have it out and on the chair.

Delilah in pink.jpg
dellah in camo 1.jpg

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Rivel is too dang smart lol. last night i lured her inside with some food and she's fine and want go in. this morning the day, she just somehow know i am gonna take her to the vet, using the same strategy and she didn't want to go in.

since the carrier is bigger now it's a bit easier using the blind superman method, but vertically. the stitches are taken out and she doesn't have to use her cone anymore. she's sulking again, but cone-free. i believe she will just bounce back as usual later.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have Delilah in a onesie post surgery. She tolerates that much better than the cone. She has figured out the velcro keeps it closed and will pull at it. Just make sure you get one with a drawstring on the neck. I got one that didn't and she wriggled out of it through the neck.

As to the carrier, I have a 2 door and drop her in the top. I just have to get her when she's calm, and have it out and on the chair.

View attachment 349477
View attachment 349478
Lily couldn't tolerate the cone. It was so heavy she couldn't lift her head and had to drag it along by walking backwards. She was so pitiful I took it off. It wasn't entirely necessary, just a precaution, so that onesie looks like it might be a better solution if it's really necessary.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Unlike others here on TCS, I don't leave the carriers out. I keep both in the closet which the cats do have access to but they hardly ever go in. When it's time for the vet, I put both cats in the bathroom and close the door. Then I take the carriers out. I carefully open the bathroom door, get one cat, exit bathroom while making sure the other cat isn't trying to escape out and close door, and put the cat in the carrier securely. Repeat for the next cat. Both cats complain while in the carrier but most cats do. Once home after the vet, the cats don't act any differently.

Some people like to spray or wipe down the inside of the carrier with Feliway or Bach's Rescue Remedy to help keep the cat calm. I've never used either.
I do not leave my carriers out either. As soon as you open one they run away. I have a walk in closet so I keep them there. When it's time to go, I pick her up in the closet with me and shut the door

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Rivel is too dang smart lol. last night i lured her inside with some food and she's fine and want go in. this morning the day, she just somehow know i am gonna take her to the vet, using the same strategy and she didn't want to go in.

since the carrier is bigger now it's a bit easier using the blind superman method, but vertically. the stitches are taken out and she doesn't have to use her cone anymore. she's sulking again, but cone-free. i believe she will just bounce back as usual later.
My cat Peaches is 7 pds but the carrier is big so ita harder to grab the sides

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Delilah had a very long incison from her surgery. Plus she likes to climb under and behind things. The onesie keeps everything clean. She can wash her legs, paws, and bottom. She just can't get the main body.

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Delilah had a very long incison from her surgery. Plus she likes to climb under and behind things. The onesie keeps everything clean. She can wash her legs, paws, and bottom. She just can't get the main body.
The butt is the most problem lol. She somehow got diarrhea after the vet, and because she cannot clean it herself, she started scooting leaving poopy trails on the floor (which is thankfully isnt carpeted)

After that, i have to wipe her butt everytime she did her business.

My cat Peaches is 7 pds but the carrier is big so ita harder to grab the sides
Yeah, rivel is about the same weight, it was a lot less resistance than the basket type carrier.

flybear

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
my cats love their carriers even after the vet visits ( and we just had a rather traumatic experience at an ER ) ...and I never had my cat hate me afterwards - in fact they seem so happy I get them back home... We use those plastic front wire and top open carriers and I leave one of them out in the cat room- my vet and the ER use the same model for cats ... Mine like to sleep in it and even though they hate car rides ( very vocal about that) - they don't seem overly stressed. I have quite a few cats and none of them give me a problem loading them - but I also don't make a big deal out of it ... Cats can smell when their humans are nervous ( I swear that is true!) - so we try to be as calm and collected as possible ... I deal with rescue kitties a lot and those two door carriers are a necessity- in the larger size- the little carriers are not adequate for most adults ... the larger size also fits a shoe box with litter in the back if needed for longer travel :-)