New Persian Kitten - Wants To Poop/Pee In Shower?

Mr.Klaus

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey everyone,

We have recently brought home our precious little Klaus. He is such a great kitty all around. We just have one little issue currently - is he would rather use our bathroom walk in shower for peeing and pooping, rather than his litter box. We are currently trying out wood pellets for the litter, any tips on how to get him to start taking notice of the litter box rather than our shower for his duties?

Thank you!

r-kins

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone,

We have recently brought home our precious little Klaus. He is such a great kitty all around. We just have one little issue currently - is he would rather use our bathroom walk in shower for peeing and pooping, rather than his litter box. We are currently trying out wood pellets for the litter, any tips on how to get him to start taking notice of the litter box rather than our shower for his duties?

Thank you!
Can you close the bathroom door to no longer give him access? It's possible at his previous home the litter box was dirty and he decided to go somewhere else and got used to it. (I had a friend with one litter for three cats where this happened, as well as my friend whose cat peed right at the entrance of the litter box so it had to be scooped every time she went or she wouldn't go back in.)

Also, is there a lid on the litter box? If so, try removing it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mr.Klaus

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Open box currently, we will keep our bathroom door shut and see what happens tomorrow while at work. Thanks

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
He may just find the wood pellets a little rough on his feet or a little too different than he had previously. I would try changing the litter and setting the box right in front of the shut bathroom door. If he is still quite young you need a small low sided box. If he refuses to use it then start with litter box with just a puppy pad in it and see if he will use that. If so, you can start gradually adding litter to it.

There is also a product that is called kitten attract litter which helps them realize that this is where they should go.

Last edited:

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he just came home, he may not recognize the pellets as litter. Try using the litter the breeder used and very gradually switching it to what you want to use. It took months for my adult Persians to become accustomed to pellets. When I bred, I would send a kitten litter box that they had used ( shoveled of course!) home with them. That way the scent is there to remind them.

lollie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He also may be doing this because he feels safe in there. If nothing else suggested works, you may try temporarily putting his litter box in the shower for a couple of days, and slowly move it out if he's using it that way.

NekoM

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It’s critical to use what the breeder was using and slowly change it to your preference, you have to get him back to using the litter box, today.

r-kins

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Didn't pick up on that you're trying pellets right off the bat when he was probably using something else. Start with regular litter. It likely needs to be a gradual change.

Mr.Klaus

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Will try to revert to the typical cat litter you find at the store, and see what happens. Thanks guys

Mr.Klaus

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just wanted to report back in, Klaus is back to using the litter box now after trying Dr. Elseys litter. Guessing he didn’t like the new wood pellets :p