New owner of kitten, Questions

partyae

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello Everyone,

I just adopted a male kitten and I adopted him from the humane society when he was maybe 2 -3 months old. Now he is 5 months old and I was just curious of kittens behaviors. In the day he seems to wanna play and be energetic but once evening-night time comes around he's just so lazy and just sleeps or doesn't do much. I'm just confused of what's going on and what I should do to make him happier.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi there! I'm glad you found our site!

In my experience, cats will sleep as much as 20 hours per day. Kittens somewhat less. Has he been neutered? That also causes them to mellow a bit. Also, don't forget that growing kitties have growth spurts in their sleep. He sounds pretty normal to me...good thing he doesn't want to sleep all day and play all night!

Anyway, if I can help you with questions you have about our site, just ask. You can respond in this thread, or click on my name and send a PM.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Haha, a lot of people complain that their cats do the opposite--sleep all day and then stay up making noise all night! Cats do sleep a lot, so it's not unusual for them to be quiet most of the time. As long as he's active sometimes, it's probably nothing to worry about, but don't hesitate to call your vet if you ever think something is wrong with him.

If you want him to play with you more, a fishing-pole type toy is a good buy. Or a laser pointer. Either one should really get him going!

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats sleep for 16-20 hours a day, and kittens sleep even more. Not sure what was meant when it was said kittens don't sleep as much as adults, they definitely sleep more than adults.

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like you've got the perfect kitten, awake all day, sleeps all night. Usually it's the other way around. I don't think you've got a problem. You should encourage that. Believe me, kittens sleeping at night is a good thing

But if you are worried that something might be wrong with your kitten. You should check with your vet.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rad65

Cats sleep for 16-20 hours a day, and kittens sleep even more. Not sure what was meant when it was said kittens don't sleep as much as adults, they definitely sleep more than adults.
Haha, oops. That was me, and I meant the opposite. Doh!