New Owner - Is My Rescue Cat Pregnant??

Claire07x

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So this is a bit of a long one, if you can stick with me and govee your best opinions it'd be so so appreciated!!

I got my girl from a rescue on the 17th of march but I've noticed some strange behaviours recently and I'm starting to wonder if she may be preganpr - the speculation is mainly due to her vets notes from while she was in the rescue btw!

So she went from 3.59kg to 4kg in a few weeks (before.coming home). I haven't weighed her again yet but I think she's gained weight. The vet noted a lot about her as she was badly abused and had bald patches etc but the worrying thing is "very wriggly, abdominal feels quite full - poss pregnant?" Note they left but never answered or went back to. After this they continued to treat her for her flea allergies and cleaning wounds etc so the notes go on about that.

Roughly 2 weeks later the notes say they tried to spay her - "flank incision made. Unable to locate uterus, extended incision and explored further .Only able to locate small remnant of broad ligament .likely spayed.... If comes into heat come in for midline exploration".

After that, nothing. However she was previously a breeder cat (that's kind of why she was reported&rescued -long sad story). Since getting her home she's massively increased appetite, espevespecim the last 2 weeks . The shelter fed her a half sachet morning and evening with 30g dry food each day and advised me to do the same. Eventually Kali would try swipe the rest of the sachet so I upped it to 1 full in the.morning, 30g dry left out and 1 full in the evening, this was fine for a while but now she just yelps and follows us around or sits outside the kitchen (she can't get on but knows where we keep her good) yelling until she's fed.

I've also noticed her tests are.more prominent than before and she started biting when my dad or anyone else lifted her - I don't lift her if I can avoid it as o think it's a shame for animals! She also yeowls if I place both hands either side.of her stomach and apply slight pressure. She loves tummy rubs as long as it's very very light. She's been a lapcat since I got her and always wants affection but recently won't sleep unless it's in my bed (much against my wishes) under the covers snuggling.next to me. She also disappears to dark, tight places time to time and yeowls very occasionally. She grooms herself very regularly, especially on her tummy area and has a very saggy stomach. She doesn't look big unless she sits on her back legs. She's a very small cat for her age though (3) so I'm not sure what I'd expect to see if she was pregnant.

Can anyone let me know if I'm being paranoid or justified with worrying haha? I've been trying to get an appointment with the vet but it's been very busy here, they're contacting me on Tuesday (after Easter weekend) to let mw know availabilities.

Thanks a lot
C

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Claire07x

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also just FYI she's an indoor cat entirely (because of her flea allergy). She has never been out since I got her and I have no other cats or animals, so if she is pregnant it must have been before I got her.
She was rescued on the 6 Feb.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Goodness! Poor gal sounds like she’s starving. If she is pregnant, she definitely needs extra food.

Can you post pictures of her belly and nipples? Also what she looks like from above so I can see her sides.

Your best bet is to get an x-ray. That will show if she has babies growing in her uterus. It does sound as though she might.

Claire07x

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know! I'm so worried but the shelter were adamant not to go over half sachet twice a day.. I caved and upped it though because after reading things online about what to feed a cat and seeing her basically begging us I couldn't not feed her more! I don't want to overfeed her so Im not sure if I should increase her food unless I know for sure she's pregnant but that could be a while yet before the vet has free spots!

Yes I'll try get some photos just now and upload them. She's currently sleeping on me so it may take a few to get clear photos!

Claire07x

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thse are the best I could get

Again she is absolutely tiny and alhas already gained a lot of weight since coming home, I just don't know how much it's the saggy tummy and bottom 2 teats (can't see the others in the photos but they are quite pronounced too, though they have more hair covering the area.
IMG_20180401_201345.jpg
IMG_20180401_195617.jpg
IMG_20180401_201345.jpg
IMG_20180401_195617.jpg
IMG_20180401_201148.jpg
IMG_20180401_195830.jpg
IMG_20180401_201530.jpg
IMG_20180401_201440_01.jpg

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It’s hard to say, but I do see her shoulder blades sticking out. Some cats have a lot of making up to do if they’ve been abused or deprived.

She also looks like she could stand to put on some weight. I wonder why the shelter is so adamant about feeding her so little. She just sounds hungry.

Does she have access to dry food 24/7? That might calm down her begging.

Also, did she recently nurse a litter? That’s what her nipples look like.

Claire07x

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeh she's quite bony overall but her tummy is very saggy and feels full. She has access to dry food all the time (even if she eats the 30g I top it up) but she seems to be pining for wet food. She will ignore the dry food unless she knows I'm not giving her another wet sachet and it's all she's getting. She almost eats the dry food begrudgingly!

I don't know too much about her past other than her being badly abused and a breeder cat, so I guess that's a possibility! I hadn't even thought of that so thank you!

I'll maybe try up her wet food again and see if that helps though she does now sort of growl at people if they go near her tummy and let's out really prolonged, aggressive sounding meows if anyone comes too close to her tummy, which is odd given she's never been aggressive before!

Claire07x

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They're calling me back on Tuesday to book in but advised last week it'd likely be the 13/14th April before they could fit her in. :(

It's quite a when to wait without feeding her a lot more wet food if she could be pregnant but I'm worried that if she isn't I'd be overfeeding her needlessly and doing more harm than good! What's your opinion on upping the wet food til then?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She seems hungry. I think you should up her wet food. She must need the nutrition.

Claire07x

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay thanks for your help!! X

Claire07x

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So. Long story short, the local rescue got my girl as she was rescued from being a breeder cat they think.

They initially thought she was pregnant. They admitted today they didn't check this at all and just assumed given how small she was, that she wasn't pregnant. They then tried to spay her but couldn't find her uterus. So basically, she's pregnant or spayed according to the shelter vet .

I took her to my vet today as I'm fairly sure she's pregnant (all the signs except she's small!). My vet said yup, she's almost definitely pregnant. Tiny but very full and rounded. She's booked in for an ultrasound and xray tomorrow but they said be careful tonight as it could happen any time. She also normally would kill a person to get to her food and devours it in seconds. Today, she has barely eaten anything - even her favourites, which is worrying me more! It's evening here, she's barely had any of breakfast (couple mouthfuls of it at most) and hasn't shown any interest in treats this evening either.

How often and how likely is it that the vet is wrong?? I'm terrified as she's so small were convinced that, if she is pregnant, the kittens won't survive if they have until now. I also work during the day so wouldn't be able to feed them every 2hrs and look after them, maybe of I had more notice I could have taken time off work but no.. thanks shelter!!

Also, would I be a terrible person for giving the kittens to the shelter? How soon could I? I really couldn't care for them the way they'd need to be since I'm not home a portion of the day.

I'm heartbroken and having a meltdown so any advice or kind words of wisdom would be so so appreciated. I think I'm just so nervous because she's my first cat that I've owned by myself, not with family (I moved out of my family home into my own place and I'm only 20, so this is my first pet without the family!), So I know I'm not experienced enough to care for those baby kittens if they're there and survive!!

Thanks
X

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How big is she exactly? How old is she?

Hmm, I would say that you could get a spay/abort, if you were comfortable with that, but it seems it's already too late. Did the vet discuss the possibility of a c-section?

If she was a breeder cat, that would mean she has had litters before and survived. So she should be OK. Of course there's always a possibility of something going wrong, but there wouldn't be so many cats in the world if they had too much trouble birthing ;).

As long as she's a good and attentive mother, the kittens won't need much from you. She'll take care of most of it; you just need to keep things clean and provide food and water. The kittens should stay with their mother at least 10 weeks; kittens taken too young often have behavioral problems because their moms didn't have the chance to teach them all the proper cat manners.

If they need more care than that, you can ask the local rescue groups if someone can foster her and the kittens until the babies are ready to go and she's spayed. Their survival chances drop dramatically if taken from their mother so you wouldn't want to do that unless it's completely necessary.

You can talk to the rescue groups in the area to see if they can help you with rehoming the kittens when they're old enough. I wouldn't suggest just dropping them at any shelter, as some are kill shelters and during kitten season they can get overwhelmed and may start putting kittens down. But networking with a rescue group can make it a lot easier than trying to find goood homes for them yourself.

Most rescue people also have a full-time job, so it's OK if you're not home all the time!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Let’s not borrow trouble. Try to relax. If mom has kittens she should be able to nurse them. If not, the shelter should take the kittens and give them to an available foster who would be home to care for them.

It does happen that cats go in for a spay and get shaved and then never spayed, especially at places that are performing multiple surgeries in a row.

Opening a cat up and not finding a uterus would indicate she’s been spayed. My suspicion is that someone has made a mistake somewhere.

We will know the answer to this mystery tomorrow!

Keep us posted! :)

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK, I looked at your other threads. She's not too small. She's about 8 pounds and that's pretty average for females, though she is a bit skinny. And from the pics you posted I can't be certain she's pregnant, I don't see the very obvious signs (like hairless circles around her teats, etc.). So maybe she's starting to fill out and it's going to her tummy first.

I can't imagine they could miss her uterus entirely, especially since she would have already been pregnant when they tried to spay her so her uterus should have been enlarged and easy to see.

The only way to be sure is with an x-ray. Let us know how it goes tomorrow!

I will say that I once took in a stray I was sure was pregnant. Nope, just a round little girl. So it's not unheard of.

Claire07x

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you both very much.

She's still a little underweight the vet said but we're working on it. She's 3 they think.

She's brushed hair away from her nipples and they're even more visible now and her tummy is very full .the vets convinced and he's a good vet (mine) . The shelter vet would do what they had to to get her out, according to him. I'm not sure who's wrong but I'm very worried!!

She was a breeder cat, that's why she was rescued - someone reserved a kitten that died and instead of a refunds they were promised a new kitten from the same parents in 5weeks, so they reported it - so the owners spaying her never made sense to us tbh. I don't think she was spayed in all honesty. Possible mix up with notes? I'm not sure.. she's had birthing complications though, not all of them have survived but I don't know exact numbers.

Also we don't have kill shelters in the UK as far as I know so don't worry about that. If I didn't necessarily need to be there Id happily keep them until they could be rehomed though. Means I could vet the owners myself which I'd like tbh.

Sorry I know this is a very "who knows" thread I'm just freaking out and needed to vent/get some potential reaffirming news so thank you for talking me down!!xx

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, you mentioned in another thread that you'd like to foster a pregnant female, so I guess you got your chance! :D But maybe a little sooner than you expected. . .

Claire07x

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I definitely jinxed myself there eh? She's now nesting in a towel in a cat carrier that she never previously went near. Horrible feeling tonight might be the night. Eek!

Claire07x

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Much appreciated thank you both for being so calm and helpful!! X