New odd behavior

NYYinBeantown

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone! My 14 1/2 year old Russian was recently diagnosed with lymphoma (lymph nodes, intestinal lining and spleen). So far he’s doing well on Prednisolone, eating a lot and even put on a little weight, but his behavior is puzzling. He will pee and poop in random places. I keep his litter box clean and it’s been in the same place the 6 years he’s been with me. He likes to play in a paper grocery bag, the other day he peed on it. He pooped in the basket he sleeps in. He’s pooped behind the recliner too. Any understanding you all can help me gain would be wonderful! Thank you!
Christine

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Prednisone is usually given with chemotherapy. Probably a side effect of the chemo drug. Stil, worth a vet check, could be something random like a UTI. Or . . . well with cancer, there are always unhappy possibilities.

Wishing you the best! Hopefully its something minor!

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

NYYinBeantown

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. Thank you for your reply. Our vet checked him...we think it may be a part of the disease progression. I was just hoping maybe someone had been through this and found a solution to the “potty anywhere” thing he’s doing.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi. Thank you for your reply. Our vet checked him...we think it may be a part of the disease progression. I was just hoping maybe someone had been through this and found a solution to the “potty anywhere” thing he’s doing.
Sorry to hear that. I think I'll have to defer on this one; I've had loss of bowel control in end-of-life situations, and dealt with behavioral peeing, but this is neither. If your cat is still moving around well and playing, but has an untreatable health issue causing this...I dunno, but hopefully others will have some thoughts for you. Good luck!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might lay down some puppy training pads and see if a place to go that is closer to where he is at the moment helps. My experiences with Prednisone has always been good, it helps to shrink tumors and helps them to feel better. He might need several weeks to adjust to the medicine. There is a chance he will adjust in time. I think he just can't hold it. You might look into kitty diapers if it doesn't get better, I have seen other people use them on their cats. Bless you for loving him in spite of all this, you will be blessed for your helping him through this.......