New nutro foods - opinons? Nern?

nern

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
IMO, the canned food looks pretty good. I don't care for the corn gluten meal in the dry formula but I like how they reduced the fat but kept the protein at a good level. I'm pretty sure I'll never find a dry food that I like as much as Innova.

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They say never any ground corn but it does have corn gluten meal. Does anyone know what the difference is?

Ahhh... iams explains it this way: Corn gluten meal is a dried protein source. It has a large portion of the carbohydrate removed.

crazy-cat-lover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I put the "bad" ingredients in bold and then I added an explanation as to why they are bad. Feel free to PM me with any questions.

Natural Choice Complete Care Indoor Adult Cat

Ingredients

Chicken Meal, Ground Rice, Corn Gluten Meal, Rice Flour, Poultry Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Sunflower Oil (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Flaxseed Meal, Tomato Pomace, Brewers Dried Yeast, Natural Flavors, Dried Beet Pulp, Mixed Vegetable Fiber (carrots, celery, beets, parsley, lettuce, watercress and spinach), vitamins and minerals.

Corn Gluten Meal

Dried residue from corn after the removal of the larger part of the starch and germ, and the separation of the bran by the process employed in the wet milling manufacture of corn starch or syrup, or by enzymatic treatment of the endosperm. It may contain fermented corn extractives and/or corn germ meal.

There is little, if any, nutritional value in this glue-like substance. Dangerous when toxic ingredients like BHA/BHT are included, as these substances will stay in your petâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s system longer.

Dried Beet Pulp

Dried residue from sugar beets which has been cleaned and freed from crowns, leaves, and sand, and which has been extracted in the process of manufacturing sugar.

Promoted as fiber, but in reality is sugar residue. Little nutritional value.

Natural Flavors

Natural is defined as “feed or ingredient derived solely from plant, animal or mined sources, either in its unprocessed state or having been subject to physical processing, heat processing, rendering, purification, extraction, hydrolysis, enzymolysis or fermentation, but not having been produced by or subject to a chemically synthetic process and not containing any additives or processing aids that are chemically synthetic except in amounts as might occur unavoidably in good manufacturing practices.â€

Natural flavours of what? Why not be specific? Will vary from bag to bag. A common industry trick of re-naming “Animal Digestâ€.

My Review

It is great that chicken meal is the number one ingredient, but that's all the meat this food has. It is mostly binders and fiber. I don't like the fact that it has "vegetable fibers" instead of real veggies. Cats do need some vegetables in their diet, they are obligate carnivours. Do your cats eat oat grass when you give it to them? Yes, most cats do. So they are obviously not carnivores. They just have to have meat to survive. Corn cannot be digested, so they make it into a glue like substance so it can be digested more easily. Yes, corn has tons of protein, but isn't that what meat is for?

In my opinion, it is a step up from Cat Chow, but that's about it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

aquarius

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Carzy Cat Lover, I wasn't too impressed with the dry either. The canned is what I was really interested in. Its ingredients are:

Ingredients
Chicken Broth, Chicken, Chicken Liver, Cod, Turkey, Ground Rice, Herring Meal, Oat Fiber, Lamb, Flaxseed Meal, Dried Beet Pulp, Sunflower Oil, Guar Gum, DL-Methionine, Potassium Chloride, Salt, Carrageenan, Sodium Ascorbate, (Source of Vitamin C), Taurine, Ferrous Sulfate, Vitamin E Supplement, Choline Chloride, Zinc Oxide, L-Carnitine, Marigold Extract, Beta-Carotene, Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Manganous Sulfate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Copper Proteinate, Niacin, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Folic Acid, Potassium Iodide, Biotin, Sodium Selenite

What is your opinion on the canned?

Aqua

nern

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Beet pulp is the residue that is left after the extraction of sugar. There would be very little, if any, sugar left in it when its added to pet foods. Beet pulp is a moderately fermentable source of fiber that supplies the gastrointestinal tract with short chain fatty acids.

http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.ph...tem=fiberfacts
"Pulp is whatâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s left over after the extraction of sugar from sugar beets. Sugar manufacturers want to extract every last little bit of sugar — itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s their livelihood. There is very little sugar left in the pulp when itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s dried for pet food, and the sum total of fiber in pet foods is generally less than 5%."

Quoted from:Canine and Feline Nutrition by Case,Carey,Hirakawa -
"Although dogs and cats do not directly digest dietary fiber, certain microbes found in the large intestine are able to break down fiber to varying degrees. This bacterial fermentation produces short-chain fatty acids and other end products. The SCFA's that are produced from fiber are an important energy souce for the epithelial cells lining the gastrointestinal tract.It appears that the best fiber sources for companion animals are those that are moderately fermentable and provide adequate levels of SCFAs for the intestinal mucosa."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...t_uids=8567470
"Diets that contain moderately fermentable fiber provide fermentation end products that may be important in maintaining the health of the gastrointestinal tract of the cat."

newtocats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't know, I used to feed nutro because I worked at Petsmart and it was pretty much the best thing that we carried. But now I have realized that I can spend the same money- or less money on a super premium brand cat food. There are also animal testing cases going on with nutro so I avoid them. I have one cat who loves wet food and I juggle between pet guard, precise, innova and wellness...he loves all of them. Natural life and evolve are also wonderful wet foods, but my little buddy doesn't like them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

aquarius

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I wish my boy would eat the innova canned.
He only likes the dry of innova.

He will eat the Petguard cans, though. For some reason, he is not very picky about his dry food, but very picky about his cans. Mayve I should try some of the Evolve. I am so skittish about trying new canned food that you have to buy online. You usually have to buy a case, and then if they don't like it, there is nothing you can do.

Aqua

dawnofsierra

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Aquarious, I'm also a big fan of Innova. Sierra really enjoys the canned Lite formula, but it's a little chunky and formed right out of the can. She prefers it mixed with just a small amount of water to thin, mushed and stirred well and warmed slightly in the microwave. Maybe your little boy could enjoy it that way!