New Mothers Change Of Behavior

Elleswcats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! My cat gave birth a couple of days ago and her behavior since has been unusual. She doesn't like to be around the kittens as much as she has with previous litters and seems very down. I'm not sure if this is a sign she's not well or if she may be depressed or if she's just still exhausted from giving birth. What is the mostly likely cause for her change in behavior and her slight hesitance towards the kittens? She's still eating and drinking normally and going to the toilet and there hasn't been any signs of being sick, she just seems really.. sad?? She does still spend a lot of time with the kittens but she seems a lot less interested and gets away from them whenever she can. I would really appreciate any insight into what could be going on because I'm so worried about her

Mystikal kitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She sense something is wrong with one, two or all of them.
Animals are funny like that and are in tune with their offspring.
Just watch her and the kittens.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Elleswcats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She has been bleeding a little bit, which I read is normal but how much is too much bleeding? She's very clean to the point that when she was in Labour I didn't notice until she started pushing as there was no water because she cleaned herself up straight away so I'm worried there may be more bleeding than she shows

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Elleswcats Elleswcats

Some bleeding is normal for about a week post-partum.

Is she eating well?

She may need calcium. Low calcium can cause lethargy. Please buy a can of powdered PetAg kitten formula and give mom a dish a day to replenish her calcium levels.

When was her last litter? She is probably worn out.

She should be spayed after this litter weans. Is there a reason you have not spayed her?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, be sure she has plenty of calcium - kmr, goats milk, some cheese or plain youghurt if she likes it. Or even crushed egg shells into fine powder... Sprinkle a little over her food as if it were salt.

Weigh the kittens daily, its the easiest way to see they are OK and gets enough of food and care. Healthy kittens add typically 10g+ a day. Sometimes more, but not much less.