New Member With Questions About Neighborhood Cat Behavior

JessyAnn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone, For the past month or so I have been providing food and water for a handsome black kitty I named Nox who started to randomly appear in the back yard. He wasn't a regular visitor at first so I was not prepared to TNR as I couldn't determine when were good times to monitor the trap or make an appointment for the vet. Slowly in the past two weeks he has been showing up daily. He usually doesn't mind if I stand 5 feet from him when he eats but has never come up to me or made a noise . Last night at around 9:30 I send outside to take out the trash , it was completely dark but I could see a familiar cat shape by the garage. Suddenly Nox ran towards me with his tail in the air and spoke for the first time when he got next to me. I am partially deaf and could hear his gruff meow but could not tell if he hissed.I was so startled to see this change in his behavior and unable to see his body language to know if he was ill or angry so I tried to go back in the house but he followed. I walked around the house swiftly trying to loose him and he followed but I was able to get inside at last. I feel horrible if this was Nox trying to befriend me and I just practically ran from him. Does anyone know why he could have such a seemingly overnight change of behavior? Should I be concerned or just let him be near me next time so he'll be easier to trap? Thanks in advance

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It sounds like he had a freight and was seeking safety from you. I have noticed with my cats, who are indoor/outdoor, that right after they are frightened they tend to want to be near me. Especially outside, I think that the human accepting them within the area shows a dominance to other stray cats plus the whole scent marking through petting to claim. Kind of like, "this is my human and my place :p" to the other cat.

Either way, for comfort or to claim, it shows that Nox clearly considers you his. If the goal is to trap, just keep doing what you are doing and he will soon trust you enough to catch. It would be a good idea to still use a trap though so he doesn't directly associate being touched by you with going in a carrier.

jpatootie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My semi ferals are much more comfortable at night, it seems. I have one that I have a routine with--every night, after the stars come out and before bed, we have a nice session where I can pet and we 'talk'. She rubs against me and even at times shows me her tummy--but only in the dark.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JessyAnn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for your wisdom , I have never ran from a cat before but due to the unfavorable environment for this encounter I figured better safe than sorry

JessyAnn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My semi ferals are much more comfortable at night, it seems. I have one that I have a routine with--every night, after the stars come out and before bed, we have a nice session where I can pet and we 'talk'. She rubs against me and even at times shows me her tummy--but only in the dark.

JessyAnn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This was our first night time encounter , today in the morning he was back to his same old distant silent self :)

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did that with my former feral. I was petting him for several days with a long handled duster, then one day he decided he trusted me and tried to jump on my lap. I ran the other way at first. I felt a bit silly, but I was scared, since he had been so wild before!

jpatootie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for your wisdom , I have never ran from a cat before but due to the unfavorable environment for this encounter I figured better safe than sorry
Proceed with caution and be alert--watch for the friendly signs. I sit low on the steps tomget down to their level. Hell, i've been know to lie down still in the grass for new visitors to sniff. Sorry neighbors, and yes, crazy cat lady here.

JessyAnn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Maggiedemi I can feel silly to run from them but we do what we can and in the end none of us are able to read a cats mind... That I know of. Your post made me feel a bit less guilt, thanks for taking the time to read my nervous rambling

JessyAnn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Proceed with caution and be alert--watch for the friendly signs. I sit low on the steps tomget down to their level. Hell, i've been know to lie down still in the grass for new visitors to sniff. Sorry neighbors, and yes, crazy cat lady here.
I just moved here with my husband to help out his mom and am already being called the crazy cat lady. If loving animals makes one insane there is something wrong with the world not us

dahli6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I do it too.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He might just decide to walk right in the house like Demi eventually did. I didn't have to trap him, I just slowly tamed him outside and in the garage and breezeway.

JessyAnn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He might just decide to walk right in the house like Demi eventually did. I didn't have to trap him, I just slowly tamed him outside and in the garage and breezeway.
If he walked right in my mother in law would have a bird! She's allergic to cats she claims but I hope that if we do get blessed with Nox choosing to come in she will find it in her heart to allow us to just keep him in our "wing" of the house until we are done here.