New member, looking into getting a new cat! Which breed is right for me? :)

taylor0302

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all! I"m not really sure if this is the right place to post this thread...but like I said, I'm new here. :)

I was wondering...which cat breed sounds right for me? I've been researching a lot, and either a ragdoll, siamese or a birman seems to fit most of what I'm looking for, but I could always use more opinions!

What I want is a lapcat, basically. A cat that's cuddly and will sleep with me and lay around with me. I would love a vocal cat that will let me know when they want my attention, but I am not looking for an extremely wild, energetic cat like my american shorthair (bless his heart) was! I want a laid back companion! Having a little personality is fine, but I'm mainly looking for a calm kitty that will follow me around and be very attached to me :-) Any opinions help!

Also, I know it has a lot to do with how the cat is treated or how the kitten is raised, but I'm just asking for personal opinions or experience with a specific breed :)

Last edited:

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
to TCS! I'm going to move this to the Breeders' Corner, as you might get more specific answers there.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh my, you compare siamese with ragdoll and birman?   because its ok for you they shall be vocal?

Nay, from what you tell look out for birman or ragdoll...

Another try may be a russian blue - my recommendation!   :)  (somewhere between siamese and birman in temperament)

Or, go for the safe thing and take one who is already "declared". Ie a grown cat who seeks a new home... Where you know he is friendly and likes to sleep on his owner.

Besides, if money is a issue for you, adult pure breeds are much cheaper than kittens.

If a pure breed is not very essential for you, you can try with a good shelter or so... Many moggies are not only excellent companions, but also very beautiful...

Or the very high light: a rescued ex homeless.  They had terrible milieu, totally wrongly for good upbringing.  But it is exactly because of it they often do makes excellent pets.  They know the difference. They know how very good they did got now!

A little shy to strangers, yes, they usually are, but wonderful, loving and thankful pets to their new Dad or Ma.

Good luck!

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Siamese are very different to Raggies or Birmans.

You also need to think of coat length and shedding.

'Wild' and active doesn't mean they can't be a loving lap cat too. Ocicats are very active and like a chat, but also follow you around like puppies, sit on your lap and curl up under the covers at night.

Russian, Burmese, British, Exotics may also be of interest.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As there are millions of healthy, beautiful cats and kittens of mixed and "pure" breeds desperately needing loving, forever homes, as long as there is one in need, RESCUED will always be my favorite "breed"; I implore you to visit your local shelter, ACC, sanctuary or rescue and ADOPT, don't shop.  Thank you.

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
^^Seconded. Do you have a reason for wanting a specific breed vs a domestic mix? I always find that knowing you have saved a life is the only motivation I need for adopting cats from a shelter vs going to a breeder and buying a cat.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As there are millions of healthy, beautiful cats and kittens of mixed and "pure" breeds desperately needing loving, forever homes, as long as there is one in need, RESCUED will always be my favorite "breed"; I implore you to visit your local shelter, ACC, sanctuary or rescue and ADOPT, don't shop.  Thank you.

^^Seconded. Do you have a reason for wanting a specific breed vs a domestic mix? I always find that knowing you have saved a life is the only motivation I need for adopting cats from a shelter vs going to a breeder and buying a cat.

This is the breeders corner, the one section of the board where people can ask about pedigree cats. There is nothing wrong with owning a ped from a reputable breeder. We don't visit the rescue section and make posts like this

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This is the breeders corner, the one section of the board where people can ask about pedigree cats. There is nothing wrong with owning a ped from a reputable breeder. We don't visit the rescue section and make posts like this

Absolutely correctly said by MissyMotus.

Especielly as the "perhaps consider a rescue" was already said in the tread.

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
to be perfectly honest, i saw this thread in the "recent discussions" list on the bottom of the page, and did not notice it was in the breeders corner, as it only has the thread title and no forum section. i went based off the title "new member" and thought i would educate on shelters since many new members are people who have owned cats for years and never considered adopting from a shelter, choosing pet stores and breeders their whole lives.

also, calm down a bit. i asked a simple question and provided my thought process when getting a new cat. i'm not trying to undermine the breeders section of the forum.

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
'Wild' and active doesn't mean they can't be a loving lap cat too. Ocicats are very active and like a chat, but also follow you around like puppies, sit on your lap and curl up under the covers at night.

Russian, Burmese, British, Exotics may also be of interest.
I would exclude Brits, they are not lap cats or very vocal. Of course there are always exceptions, but most of them just want to be near you, not on you.

I would also like to whine about people dissing breeders. It seems to happen everytime when someone comes here and asks which breed would be best for their lifestyle. As I've said before, if you want a sleigh dog you don't go and get a chihuahua or a random mixed breed rescue dog, you get a sleigh dog from a breeder who has 'working lines' (meaning that show lines are usually different from working lines in dogs..). Same thing applies for cats IMO.

Last edited:

levi68

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well, since she is asking in the breeders section I will say that I really love my Himalayan in the fact that hes definitely a lap cat. Not extreme...but loves to snuggle in bed or on the couch. He's not overly vocal but will talk to get attention. Very obsessed with water and chats up a storm if I get the treat bag out!

The great thing about him...is that he's a rescue! So, it is possible to find exotics that are being rehomed..if you are inclined to look.

I recently bought a Devon Rex from a breeder and he is definitely a lap cat..more so than my Himi.  And he def complains if he is not able to be in the same room as me. Adores constant attention.

Good luck in your search!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For those of us who truly love cats, we love ALL cats; and while one cat is desperately needing a loving home or losing his or her life on the streets, in an ACC or "shelter" or anywhere else, I will not apologize for encouraging adoption!!! This should not offend anyone who truly loves cats.

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Even with pure-breds you can't predict what nature the kittens will have.  A Siamese (for example) is probably a lively, active, athletic, intelligent, demanding cat - but not always.

The surest way to get a cat with the personality you want is to adopt an adult from a rescue.  Visit, spend time with the cats, talk to the people who look after them, and hopefully you will find what you are looking for.  A young adult (2-3 maybe) would be ideal as it's personality should be clear by then as it's an adult, and hopefully you will have a long and happy life with him or her.

My only comment about what sort of cat is that in my limited experience neutered males are (usually) nearer to what you are after.  But I say again - USUALLY.  Not always.

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Even with pure-breds you can't predict what nature the kittens will have. 
I should have written 'RELIABLY'.  There is no doubt that some breeds (Siamese and Orientals for example, and also Burmese and Asians) have a quite clear breed character and most of them have it to a greater or lesser degree, but they don't all have it and they do have it to greatly varying degrees. 

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a Blue Poing Birman, Paige.  She is definately a lover and a lap cat.  She doesn't like to be put down at all!!  She will protests each time I do put her down... Just about the only time she is ever vocal.  Birmans are loveable and said to be the angel of cat breeds.  I believe it.  Paige is definately an angel.  She is very affectionate and loves to give kisses along with being held. 

As for shedding, she does but not as bad as my Persians and it can be kept at a minimum with a weekly grooming.  Plus, her hair doesn't get mats or tangles in it so it is easy to care for.  From experience with a Simese and a Birman, with what you claim you are looking for... I would say Birman.  Simese tend to be very active and athletic.  Birmans are more laid back. 

I've never had a Raggy but I have heard that they are very gentle and affectionate, too!!  I don't know about the coats?  I think they require some work.  They are HUGE, too.  If you are interested, another breed to look into is a Maine Coon.  My Maine Coon boy, King Arthur, is very affectionate, as well.  He does have a long and fluffy coat, but again, not as much work as a Persian.  He is also quiet.  Only letting you know when he needs his bowl refilled.  He is also very playful and silly... Entertainment! 

Of course though, cats breed descriptions are not as accurate on temperment and personality as they may be on dogs.  Cats are very much individuals and I would suggest spending time with an individual cat one on one and not focus so much on the breed.

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Once i was going to look into getting a Maine Coon, when they were fairly new in the UK.  However I soon discovered that the fine fur from just about all LH and SLH breeds gets up my nose, plus I don't enjoy bathing cats so shorthair cats suit me perfectly.  With my two Orientals all they need is hand grooming - stroking!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unless a cat gets into something toxic or malodorous and can't wash it off, it is NEVER necessary to bathe a cat.  Cats are self-cleaning.  

aeevr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Necessary, no. Beneficial, probably. Cats are self-cleaning but are limited in their abilities.
Unless a cat gets into something toxic or malodorous and can't wash it off, it is NEVER necessary to bathe a cat.  Cats are self-cleaning.  

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I have to disagree. I have British Longhairs that have to be bathed at least twice a year. Their coat is pretty much similar to Persian coat and it has to be bathed and groomed so it doesn't matt so easily, and my BLH male also gets a bit greasy even though he's neutered (he used to have some 'stud tail' issues when he was still intact).