New Maine Coon Mom Needs Advice!

LionMama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I recently adopted an 18 month old Maine Coon male. He achieved his champion status in show and then was sadly decommissioned due to entropion. He had his surgeries and was offered by his breeder as a pet to our loving family. He is truly a one of a kind cat. Extremely large and engaged...dog like. He is an outgoing extrovert who demands a lot of attention.
My concerns come from his almost destructive behavior concerning anything on tables, counters or...anywhere. He wakes up loudly demanding breakfast and engagement at 5am and it's game on from there. He knocks around the furniture like a 25 lb pin ball for hours until it's time for the family to leave for the day. At which point he sleeps soundly lol.
We love this guy but need some advice on how to manage his behavior. He has an expansive cat tree, feathers, lasers, etc..
Any input is appreciated.. we are so tired.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LionMama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He doesn't mind the harness a bit but seems shut down by the leash attached... I'm definitely working on it!
We live in a high rise with a balcony that he has been grounded from...found him with full shoulders and head through the bars ready to try jumping down to the next terrace!! So all of his outdoor adventures will now be on leash and supervised.

LionMama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That's true... he was slated to be a main breeder due to his size. He wasn't neutered until he was about 15 months old. Good point!

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I'm no help since I use Bob to hold the furniture in place...

bobscottsmall.jpg

...but I know that everyone here would love to see some photos of your big boy!

I expect that lutece lutece has hit the nail on the head, as usual, given the consideration that he was recently neutered, and I'd be surprised if he didn't settle down in fairly short order.

By the way - welcome to TCS - to both of you!

Edit: @mightyboosh and @MistyDawn - come say, "hello," to this big fellow!

LionMama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the welcome! I will post some more pics of Red and reach out for advice from the community for sure.. I've always had cats and love them dearly... this boy is a new experience! Thank you for your help and time

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Red's candid pics during his first week or so home... that hand is mine, not my little girls lol!!View attachment 241115 View attachment 241116 View attachment 241115 View attachment 241115 View attachment 241116 View attachment 241117
LionMama LionMama - Red's a glorious big sweet boy - and at eighteen months, he's still just a growing boy. My little Bob was just a wee small kitty at age four, and then a growth spurt (Norwegian Forest Cats are notorious for growth spurts) brought him from about 24 pounds to quite nearly thirty-six pounds in the next fourteen months. Pinball? It'll be more like Maine Coon Bowling!

;)

LionMama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have been blessed with a very balanced and mellow female Ragdoll mix for the last 6 years... she is queen of all she surveys ha ha. We became accustomed to her mellow vibe and hoped she and Red would be peas in a pod. They get along just fine but Mama Brit will only correct junior when he's in her space... other than that she rolls right over and lets him wreak havoc. ... that's a ragdoll for you.