New Kitty Is Scared Of Me Still?

emmykw1997

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
5FDA4A7B-EE0A-42F1-9873-04FC2D680C82.jpeg 20F9A13C-7B94-4D81-8965-B03DF713AC32.jpeg I got a rag doll kitten on November 25, her name is Adore She came with health checks, shes dewormed and her shots are up to date, I got her only like 5 and a half weeks after she was born (which I’m thinking now might have been too early for the poor thing) she’s bonded very well with my other female rag doll cat, Lumi who’s 7 months now. But Adore just doesn’t seem to want to take to me. She lets me pet her sometimes but other times will shy away, and seldom lets me hold her without squirming and escaping. She will sit with me on my bed and stuff but just doesn’t seem to like me physically touching her. Which would be fine because I know some cats are just like that (my other cat Lumi loves cuddles and affection) but Adore will let other people pick her up and pet her all the time which is the part that makes me wonder if there’s anything I could’ve done to make her uncomfortable with me or if it’s probably not a big deal.
I uploaded pics the little one is obviously Adore and the bigger one is Lumi

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Adore is the purr-fect name for that kitten, as she is paws-itively adorable. :lovecat3: Luna is beautiful too. :catlove:

Yes, as you have realized, 5 1/2 weeks is extremely young for a kitten to be adopted out. The recommendation these days is 12 to 16 weeks, so that the kittens have time to learn cat etiquette from their mom and siblings.

Luckily for Adore, she has Luna to teach her kitty manners.

Not sure why Adore would like other people to touch and pick her up, and not you. Are the other people part of the household?

She's still so very young that her personality may still be developing, however, here are a few TCS articles that might have some tips for you.

10 Must-know Tips For Happy Living With A Shy Cat
16 Top Cat Experts Share Tips For Dealing With Timid Cats
14 Cat Experts Reveal: How To Get A Cat To Like Me
Your Cat Probably Hates It When You...
Playing With Your Cat: 10 Things You Need To Know

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Your kitties are ADORABLE - both Adore and Lumi!!! You got a lot of good stuff from rubysmama rubysmama !

I wish I had an explanation for why Adore would not want to have you pick her the same way others can. I am going to take a guess and say perhaps it is because you are nervous about it and she can sense it - where the others aren't not analyzing their interaction with her? Play with her, feed her treats. And, try not to be nervous about it. She will come around!! Keep us posted!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

emmykw1997

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Adore is the purr-fect name for that kitten, as she is paws-itively adorable. :lovecat3: Luna is beautiful too. :catlove:

Yes, as you have realized, 5 1/2 weeks is extremely young for a kitten to be adopted out. The recommendation these days is 12 to 16 weeks, so that the kittens have time to learn cat etiquette from their mom and siblings.

Luckily for Adore, she has Luna to teach her kitty manners.

Not sure why Adore would like other people to touch and pick her up, and not you. Are the other people part of the household?

She's still so very young that her personality may still be developing, however, here are a few TCS articles that might have some tips for you.

10 Must-know Tips For Happy Living With A Shy Cat
16 Top Cat Experts Share Tips For Dealing With Timid Cats
14 Cat Experts Reveal: How To Get A Cat To Like Me
Your Cat Probably Hates It When You...
Playing With Your Cat: 10 Things You Need To Know
I’m going to check out these articles!! Thank you!!

emmykw1997

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. Your kitties are ADORABLE - both Adore and Lumi!!! You got a lot of good stuff from rubysmama rubysmama !

I wish I had an explanation for why Adore would not want to have you pick her the same way others can. I am going to take a guess and say perhaps it is because you are nervous about it and she can sense it - where the others aren't not analyzing their interaction with her? Play with her, feed her treats. And, try not to be nervous about it. She will come around!! Keep us posted!
I’ll just keep feeding her treats and playing with her! Hopefully everything will be alright! Thank you:) I will!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In the wild, an animal who shows too much interest in another animal probably wants to mate with or eat that animal. Besides treats and interactive play, I'd back off her, and let her come around to you. Cats don't like to be ignored and she probably does adore you. I just think maybe because it's so important to you that she lets you cuddle and pick her up that she's a little spooked. A lot of cats don't like to be picked up anyway. In the wild, unless it's mama, being picked up is usually a prelude to being eaten. Besides treats and play which are positive bonding exercises themselves, if you cool off the forced affection, I think she'll come around to you. She'll probably lay it on pretty thick. Cats always show the most interest in the ones that show the least interest in them.

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
I agree with the previous posts, she is probably just playing hard to get... my one cat is like this. Loves the attention but she cannot let you see that she loves it. It’s adorable.

emmykw1997

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
In the wild, an animal who shows too much interest in another animal probably wants to mate with or eat that animal. Besides treats and interactive play, I'd back off her, and let her come around to you. Cats don't like to be ignored and she probably does adore you. I just think maybe because it's so important to you that she lets you cuddle and pick her up that she's a little spooked. A lot of cats don't like to be picked up anyway. In the wild, unless it's mama, being picked up is usually a prelude to being eaten. Besides treats and play which are positive bonding exercises themselves, if you cool off the forced affection, I think she'll come around to you. She'll probably lay it on pretty thick. Cats always show the most interest in the ones that show the least interest in them.
Okay I’m definitely going to try this. That makes a lot of sense! I guess I’m the same way at the end of the day if someone kept trying to cuddle me and all the time I’d be scared too hahaha. Thank you:)