New Kittens

sohie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all, am new to the board and have a couple of questions please. My cat had 5 kittens last night (one died); i am taking food and water to her to eat b/c she will not get up (she has got up 2-3 x and gone to litterbox) Is this normal. I thought about taking her to vet tomorrow just to make sure, but didnt want to upset her by moving her & kittens for that trip.

This is her first litter and she is 1.5 years old - a very pretty calico. Her kittens are just adorable, they are all black & white.

angelkitty06

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She is resting, she's tired and just right now want to be with her babies. She will get up in her own time and start eatting. If you notice she has not eatten after the 2nd day of the kittens birth, I would call the vet and see what advice they have for you. Also I would put the food close to her nesting area. After my cat gave birth, I put food in my hand and fed her that way because she was too tired to get up and eat.

junior67

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would move her food and water to RIGHT outside where she has her babies and make sure the litter box is close also but not too close to the food and water, but have it in the same room. She is just being a good mom and staying with her babies.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by SOHIE

Hi all, am new to the board and have a couple of questions please. My cat had 5 kittens last night (one died); i am taking food and water to her to eat b/c she will not get up (she has got up 2-3 x and gone to litterbox) Is this normal. I thought about taking her to vet tomorrow just to make sure, but didnt want to upset her by moving her & kittens for that trip.

This is her first litter and she is 1.5 years old - a very pretty calico. Her kittens are just adorable, they are all black & white.
Welcome to TCS. I would set up mom in a room with her food and water and litter very closeby in the room. Also, please keep mom indoors only and away from intact males until she has weaned her kittens and can safely be spayed. Cats can become pregnant again as early as a week after a giving birth and we would recommend that this be your girl's only litter.

Katie