New Kitten's Weird Build & Behavior

mokapi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I thought I'd just come to this site for raw diet help, but after reading some of the other boards, it looks like you guys can tackle just about any issue :p

My "kitten", Keegan, actually came to our house back in February. Someone dropped him off at the park where I worked, and he was skin and bones and so, so sweet. I had just moved into my boyfriend's house at that time with my cat, Mrowmrow, and at that time I couldn't bring him inside. He stayed outside for another month or a half or so. I had him neutered when I could, and brought him inside right after the vet appointment. I guessed he was about 8 months old.

He's nutty. When he gets excited, his head begins to shake back and forth, like he's emphatically saying no. He seems to be unable to comfortably lay with his paws tucked; his front legs are always stretched out in front of him. When he walks, his back feet seem to be on their tiptoes. His hands/paws to be too large; I thought he was a polydactyl kitty until I actually counted them, and he trips over his own feet.

He refuses to let Mrowmrow use the litter box by himself. He digs at the ground in all directions around the water bowl before he'll drink. He won't eat canned food, cooked meat, or raw meat, only kibble. He is frightened of everything...he sniffed a package of raw chicken thighs (for MY dinner) and became so disturbed he made a MRRRP?! noise and fell off the counter trying to back away. When I did try raw with him, he spent several minutes trying to unsuccessfully "cover" it, like it belonged in the litter box. He lunges out of hiding places to "hug" my legs (never uses claws), sometimes taking weird little hoppy steps as he does so. He's EXTREMELY hyper, and I exhaust myself playing with him far before he becomes tired or bored. It usually spikes at about 3 am, and then again at around 6, and he's an absolutely fruitcake when I get home from work.

Mrowmrow was very sickly when I saved him as a 3 week old runt, and never exhibited "normal" kitten silliness. Is this normal behavior? Do you think he'll grow out of it? Is the way he lays and walks normal for a weirdo babycat?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I got a little confused about which cat was exhibiting the weird sitting and head behavior, but if you haven't already, have the vet check him out. Their are some congenital neurological issues cats can have that can leave them with a funny gait or head movements. It isn't anything treatable and it doesn't really affect the cats life , it just makes them a bit different.

Everything else sounded pretty normal to me. Every cat is a bit different in what they will or won't eat, how they like to play, and what they like to play with.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mokapi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Keegan is displaying all of this- the gray and white cat. I haven't had him to a "normal" vet yet (only a low-cost vet for neuter, shots, and FIV test), but I hope to get him to one soon.

Thank you for your response :)

krazykatjenn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What a cute kitty! Definitely check with the vet to make sure everything is okay. They'll be able to tell if there's any medical reason behind the tip toe walk and shaking.

The playfulness sounds pretty normal. And the kibble thing just sounds like he's being picky with his food. Cats are pretty skittish by nature, and that trait gets multiplied when they've lived in an uncertain environment before. Keegan probably feels like the kibbles are a safe bet, but other food can't be trusted yet.

Alice would only eat kibble the first couple months I got her, and now when she gets nervous/stressed she reverts to the kibble only eating. She lived the entire first year of her life in a basement before I adopted her, so EVERYTHING scared her. Windows, car horns, a pencil where she wasn't expecting it. Terror!

She's been living with me for over two years now, and while she can still be skittish she's much better and will actually calm down pretty easily when I pet her. Keegan probably just needs time to learn that the world he lives in now is safe and full of happiness and cuddles.