New Kitten's Litter Box Behavior

Paris Pluto

Cat Daddy
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,

I've searched around and can't find any old threads that might be able to help. I have an 11 week old kitten and when she goes to potty, 3 out of 5 times, she'll dig around with her paws and then start using her head/nose to move the litter around. How do I discourage this? I literally service the box 24/7 even if it's 3am just to make sure she doesn't brown nose herself. Can anyone relate to this?

Edit: I forgot to mention that I have been using the Breeders Choice litter. Having said that, I just went to the supermarket and got a 6L bag of Catlux Softwood Clumping Litter to see if it helps. Is that safe for an 11 week old? I have kept the original litter in one tray and this new bag in a different tray so I can monitor her when she goes toilet.

Here's a picture of said cheeky girl, Malibu.

Last edited:

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure about the "nosing" the litter part. But it's not a good idea to use clumping litter for kittens as they do tend to eat it sometimes and it can cause blockages.
Maybe she'll grow out of it? I wonder if her nosing the litter is just because she is simply sniffing around, as cats do, and it not quite so graceful about it yet being so young.
She is absolutely darling BTW!!!

FetchingCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What a CUTIE! When my oldest was a kitten, she used to run around in her litter box, chasing shadows. Maybe she's playing, maybe your litter works so well she can't even smell her own stuff unless she sticks her nose right in! If you're worried about her inhaling clay, paper litter works very well. They have it at Petco.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Paris Pluto

Cat Daddy
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure about the "nosing" the litter part. But it's not a good idea to use clumping litter for kittens as they do tend to eat it sometimes and it can cause blockages.
Maybe she'll grow out of it? I wonder if her nosing the litter is just because she is simply sniffing around, as cats do, and it not quite so graceful about it yet being so young.
She is absolutely darling BTW!!!
What a CUTIE! When my oldest was a kitten, she used to run around in her litter box, chasing shadows. Maybe she's playing, maybe your litter works so well she can't even smell her own stuff unless she sticks her nose right in! If you're worried about her inhaling clay, paper litter works very well. They have it at Petco.
Thank you both for replying! I pretty much answered my own question by changing from recycled paper litter to the semi clumping litter. She noses around the paper pallets but in the new clumping litter, she does her business and off she goes without playing with it or eating it. I'm a full time carer at home so will be monitoring her until she is old enough to know not to eat it.