New Kittens - Help determining fur length

jdean1120

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just recently got a new kitten! She is an 8 week old calico girl named Maisie. We also got her brother from the same shelter for my mother. I'm really hoping they will be medium-long hair! The little boy, Dexter, has fluffier hair than the calico, but hers feels dense and both have much longer hair than their two brothers.

Here's Maisie:

And Dex:

Any ideas? No idea what the parents are like. All four were dropped off at the shelter anon

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
They both look like shorthair kitties to me. A lot of kittens are fluffy at that age so it's hard to tell. I usually go by the length of the hair on their tails.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jdean1120

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was mostly wondering due to their coat density. They both have a thick, dense, cotton-like texture that I hadn't felt in their siblings or other kittens at that shelter, like these:

And they rather resemble my dad's cat as a kitten, who has the perfect medium coat. I also had a cat growing up who looked like a shorthair and ended up being a DLH, so I guess you never know! I've just never felt kittens with coats that dense at that age.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Usually you can tell by their tails if they're old enough, and I think they are. And their tails don't look fluffy :(. But there are different types of shorthairs and I do think they'll have thick plush coats instead of slick coats like a Siamese.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jdean1120

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They're 8 weeks as of a couple days ago.