New kittens from Human Society

schu777

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Last week my family (4 kids and wife) adopted two kittens, not from the same litter. Both are nearly the same age, but the male is bigger than the female currently. We tried to keep them from being together, but over the past week, they have been. When they are together, they tend to roughhouse, but neither is hissing, howling or anything that would (to me) indicate an actual fight. The only time they seem to get along is when they are eating. They are both very lovely kittens. The male is very playful while the female seems to be more curious at times and playful too. Currently, we have them in the master bathroom. A glass door shower where the female is during the night while the male is outside in the bathroom. We're worried that they are not going to get along, which I realize is a possibility, but I would think not with their age. Since we have 4 kids, the places where we could separate the kittens is pretty much non-existent. The house is 3 bedroom house, with the kids split on sharing a room, so that rules those rooms out. Really don't want to dedicate the kid's bathroom as if used during the night, would the kitten get loose? For the past few hours, I've been pondering where/how we could separate them for X amount of time. We have a basement, but that is torn up making a bedroom in it. Let alone how to let them see each other through a screen door/kids gate and such.

I did a search on this site (so don't shoot me for not searching) to see about how to get two new kittens introduced, but seems like the roughhousing we're seeing isn't something to be concerned about. However, we're concerned they won't ever get along. Each has their own water/food dish in the bathroom, yet while free to roam in the master bedroom, they will go use the other food/water/litter box. Today, while the male was out roaming the house, I stepped into the bathroom and saw the female resting on the male's bed.

So, where do we go from here? If you have questions, let me know and I'll try to answer the best I can.

Thanks!!

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
Last week my family (4 kids and wife) adopted two kittens, not from the same litter. Both are nearly the same age, but the male is bigger than the female currently. We tried to keep them from being together, but over the past week, they have been. When they are together, they tend to roughhouse, but neither is hissing, howling or anything that would (to me) indicate an actual fight. The only time they seem to get along is when they are eating. They are both very lovely kittens. The male is very playful while the female seems to be more curious at times and playful too. Currently, we have them in the master bathroom. A glass door shower where the female is during the night while the male is outside in the bathroom. We're worried that they are not going to get along, which I realize is a possibility, but I would think not with their age. Since we have 4 kids, the places where we could separate the kittens is pretty much non-existent. The house is 3 bedroom house, with the kids split on sharing a room, so that rules those rooms out. Really don't want to dedicate the kid's bathroom as if used during the night, would the kitten get loose? For the past few hours, I've been pondering where/how we could separate them for X amount of time. We have a basement, but that is torn up making a bedroom in it. Let alone how to let them see each other through a screen door/kids gate and such.

I did a search on this site (so don't shoot me for not searching) to see about how to get two new kittens introduced, but seems like the roughhousing we're seeing isn't something to be concerned about. However, we're concerned they won't ever get along. Each has their own water/food dish in the bathroom, yet while free to roam in the master bedroom, they will go use the other food/water/litter box. Today, while the male was out roaming the house, I stepped into the bathroom and saw the female resting on the male's bed.

So, where do we go from here? If you have questions, let me know and I'll try to answer the best I can.

Thanks!!
Perhaps they are playing.

Suru

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If you mean they are pouncing on each other wrestling, bunny kicking and "biting" (really just mouthing), they are most likely just playing. sometimes (I've found mostly the females) can get quite vocal, but it's all fun and games. My new 8 wo kitten even used to growl at my 3 yo cat in excitement, but I guess he can tell the difference between a defensive growl and a play growl...? because they just keep playing afterwards.

For reference, here is a video of when my older one was only 6 months old, playing with his twin.

edit: do you know how old they are specifically? I think you can keep them together, and keep an eye out for a couple of days to make sure that one isn't bullying the other etc. If you ever catch them sleeping together, then it's a telltale sign that they have no issues with each other

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

schu777

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I believe they are around 12 weeks or so - one might be older than the other.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Congrats on the new family members. Kittens become friends almost immediately so there is no need to separate them - or to worry about how hard they play with one another. Jumping on, biting, knocking over and wrestling with one another is play, no matter how many squeals or shrieks there are.
So make sure the house is well kitten proofed, join their play by using a wand or laser toy and enjoy your babies.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since they're from your local humane society I'm guessing they are, but just to be sure....are they fixed? If not you need to get that taken care of ASAP, as females can go into heat as young as 4-5 months.

But that behavior is nothing to worry about, it's totally normal for Kittens to play like that. The only time you'll have any cause to worry is if one of them runs away afterward and hides for an extended period of time, and acts afraid of the other.

schu777

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, both are fixed.

schu777

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Some additional info - wife stated that they tend to keep at it and one does lower its ears when they are roughhousing.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Some additional info - wife stated that they tend to keep at it and one does lower its ears when they are roughhousing.
It is still just play, whether fur is puffed, tails are down and thumping, ears are back, one or both are screeching. With cats that age it is always play.

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. All of the above!!! You will see/hear screeching, hissing, yowling, howling, ear back, swats, full-on tackles, wrestling, even some biting, chasing & hiding only to come back for more chasing/hiding, and just about anything else you can possibly think of. They are playing and you can expect several months of these shenanigans going on! When one gets tired and is done for the moment, you can be sure s/he will let the other know. And, if the other doesn't get a clue the first time, they most certainly will after a few swats. You can keep a close eye on them if you are worried, but I don't think you are going to see much that means anything other than a couple of typically rambunctious kittens. Hang on and enjoy the ride. You will be able to have these memories when they are old and you wonder what happen to those crazy little kittens!

Last edited:

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's normal. Cats often look like they are playing really rough, but as long as one of them doesn't start acting afraid of the other it's all good.

Suru

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
At that age, all they do is eat, play (playfighting in this case) and sleep. So it's nothing to worry about. I used to be awed when my 5 month old kitten play fought with his sibling for over an hour! They would zoom down the hall ways, into the rooms, chase each other up and down he stairs - basically a whirlwind bouncing off the walls of the house. Then I would find them napping in the same bed. lol

This is a great time to let them play with each other and learn to use their claws and teeth appropriately :)

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
At that age, all they do is eat, play (playfighting in this case) and sleep. So it's nothing to worry about. I used to be awed when my 5 month old kitten play fought with his sibling for over an hour! Then I would find them napping in the same bed. lol

This is a great time to let them play with each other and learn to use their claws and teeth appropriately :)
Or when you find the two kittens who seemed intent on killing one another just a minute ago are now sound asleep flopped over one another.

schu777

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, three days and now they are sleeping together. At first, it was quite a bit for the wife and little girl (6) to keep from separating them when they were fighting, but my wife resisted and kept the little girl doing the same. Now they are getting along just fine and quite fun kittens. The cat tower they are on came from Petco - super buy. $70 for it when it was $230 I think. It came in a large box and I had to assemble it. Not hard at all and for the price, I couldn't build something for that price. I could build something and make it sturdier, but for the price and time, well worth it!

Thanks everyone for the advice!!!

Attachments

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
They look very cumfy together! I am in need of a new cat tree. How high is it? Do you have a full picture? I have had a 72inch tree for 9 years. The materiel is wearing out. So yours is not steady?

schu777

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh - the base is 21"x23"