New Kitten

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Optatus Cleary

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My wife ordered some litter, but I want to make sure it will be safe for Blossom. She ordered “PetSafe Premium Crystal Non-clumping cat litter.”

She chose it because it’s non-clumping, like EmersonandEvie recommended. Is the fact that it’s crystals okay? Apparently it’s mostly silica. Is there anything we need to watch for as we introduce it?

By the way, she also called the vet and found out that he had only meant to recommend against starting litter until after she started going on her own (remember when we took her she hadn’t gone at all and he recommended stimulating or using an enema if necessary.)

Optatus Cleary

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you! We’ll get the non-clumping clay and save crystals for later.

Optatus Cleary

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
40BF5AD0-4F55-4548-AF29-CA5C4F15FE0B.jpeg
528E2B21-E987-444E-8703-7407C31DB366.jpeg

Are either of these “non-clumping”? Every type of litter I can find says “clumping” except these two, which don’t specify. We can order some non-clumping litter from Amazon. Any recommendations?

Optatus Cleary

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also, does anyone have any experience with non-clumping paper litter (such as “Yesterday’s News”)? Someone recommended it and I’m not sure whether or not it’s an option for Blossom when she’s this little.

Jewely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I used it when my late cat had a paw injury. It works well, just not that great on odor control, but certainly safe for a kitten.
Your kitten is gorgeous!!

Optatus Cleary

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So some progress today! Blossom is gaining approximately half an ounce per day, and is now 14 1/2 ounces! She so ate the dry food pellets that we put in as a snack for her, although we did add water and she didn’t eat them until later.

We finally got some non-clumping litter. Unfortunately it is scented, which worries me a little. We introduced it and she doesn’t seem to have an interest in eating it, so that’s good. Unfortunately, it’s unclear if she will use it to go to the bathroom.

Please let me know if the scented litter would be dangerous for her. I understand that she might prefer unscented, but I would not want to use it if it will harm her.

Optatus Cleary

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Updates: despite throwing pieces of the litter all over the little pod, she seems to have connected the litter box to urination. She was about to go one time and my wife picked her up and put her in the box. Since then she has urinated in the litter box twice without intervention. Unfortunately, she doesn’t seem to connect the box with defecation yet. My wife’s idea is to move her into the box when it looks like she’s going to go, but I worry that this might make her disinclined to do so.

One other question: she scratches herself a lot, kind of how a dog would (I’ve never had a cat before but I have had dogs...maybe this is totally normal for cats and I just don’t realize). My wife is concerned that it might mean she has fleas, but it seems to me that it’s part of her grooming (especially since her tendency to play with the litter means some gets in her hair.)

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
You can try taking some of her poop and putting it in the litterbox so she knows to associate pooping with the box. Leave it in there for about 12-16 hours, or until she makes the connection an goes in the box. Smart girl for already figuring out the peeing!

A lot of scratching isn't normal. However, cats do scratch themselves like dogs, with their hind legs. :) Has she scratched like that ever since you got her? Has it developed in the past few days?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She probably needs a tube of Advantage II for Kittens put on the back of her neck to kill any fleas.

Optatus Cleary

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A lot of scratching isn't normal. However, cats do scratch themselves like dogs, with their hind legs. :) Has she scratched like that ever since you got her? Has it developed in the past few days?
She is doing it a little more than before, mostly while grooming.

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
Sher may have a few fleas, not uncommon. You could do what SArthur2 suggested above and giver her a kitten dose of flea treatment (alternately, you could wait and take her to the vet to see if they want to prescribe anything, but I don't think it's necessary).

Something else you can do: Get a bowl and fill it with warm water and a few drops of Dawn dishsoap. Get a flea comb (can be found at Walmart/pet stores) and dip the comb in the water and gently brush her, dipping the comb between brushes. The Dawn will kill any fleas that you may find.

Optatus Cleary

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Regression with the litter box: she has now started going right next to the box, but never in it, including for urine. She will usually go on a paper towel if one is provided. I tried putting a paper towel in the box, and she pulled it out and used it for defecation.

It seems daunting to train her with this. I worry that my wife’s method (picking her up and putting her in the box when she seems likely to go) has set her back and made her scared to go. On the other hand, it’s the only way we’ve gotten her to defecate in the box.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, keep up the great job! I usually recommend picking them up and putting them in the litter box when they look like they need to go. It takes time, as mentioned, but the kitten will get it! :)

Optatus Cleary

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Blossom’s progress: she is now using the litter box regularly and unprompted, for urination and defecation. She is also burying it now!

She also spent one night away, at my wife’s friend’s house since we had an out of town event we had to attend. She did well and didn’t show any signs of disturbance while she was there or when she got back to our house.

She has gained weight, and is now one pound, two and 3/4 ounces. She is visually bigger now, and feels heavier.

We made her what my wife refers to as her “sock baby” from an old sock stuffed with other old socks. It has no strings that could be dangerous. She likes to play with it and catch while I hold it above her, and she also tends to sleep right next to it like it’s her littermate. She’s now noticeably bigger than the sock, but when we first made it it was about her size.

She still doesn’t like dry food, even when moistened. She will eat wet food very eagerly, but sometimes falls asleep while she’s eating. She drinks a little bit of water every so often (I leave her a water dish even though she is probably getting plenty of water from her wet food.)