New Kitten?

lisa1706

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all, well after reading horror stories about bad kitten introductions. I'm having second thoughts about getting a kitten. I have a four-year-old rescue that I got two years ago. I live in a one-person household so she doesn't have much exposure to other people. But when I do have guests if they are quiet she'll come out and spend time in the living room. She's not really a cuddler and does not like to be picked up. I can't say that I have bonded really well with her because she's not very affectionate. But I love her dearly and want her to be happy. I think she was abused in her previous life and was dropped off at the shelter when she was pregnant. She spends her days alone in my one-bedroom apartment. And she doesn't on my back when I'm asleep and does the kneading thing . We play ball and she has a couple of toys that she enjoys. I read about this kitten that had been left outside in the cold and is only 4 weeks old. Cute as a button! This kitten is now being bottle-fed and transitioning to wet food in a foster home. He is a male my current cat is a female. I'm thinking maybe she would think it's one of her kidneys and she's been reunited who knows. I'm wondering wondering if my cat will be able to adjust to a kitten. I wonder if she gets lonely. I know there's no way to know but now I'm just thinking maybe I should leave well enough alone. Here's baby Gus. Thoughts?

Attachments

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You always do the put them together and see what happens method and give the kitten back in a few days if it doesn't work out. This method is safe enough with kittens, since older cats almost never attack kittens even if the kittens stress them out badly - biological hard wiring. Lots of people do it, and since you have a one bedroom, it would be hard to do a full intro process over a week or two. If you use the put them together method, you just need to be emotionally prepared to give the kitten back if a couple of days go by and it is still bad. As you said, its all very unpredictable; you can't know until you try, and beyond that, give it a couple of days to settle down.

Of course, a full introduction process increases the chances of it working out, but in addition to it being hard to do a full process in a one bedroom, it would make it harder to give the kitten back because a full intro process works much slower than just putting them together.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lisa1706

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yup. I have a loft townhouse apartment so its all open. The only actual rooms with doors are 2 tiny bathrooms and two small walk in closets. Really no way to separate them. I do have a freind that could give kitten a break for a day or 2 at her place. Maybe we can set up playdate. I feel a bond with this kitten I've never met. He's alone and so am I really. He beat the odds. He could gave frozen to death. thanks for responding.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't do that. Switching places and being transported would produce stress and slow adjustment. I mean, its true most kittens are adaptable and settle in quick, but some are actually quite shy for a week or even more, especially kittens from less than ideal circumstances. Some kittens will hiss at the older cat when stressed, so getting the kitten comfortable as quickly as possible is a good thing. Even in your situation, ideally you would try and find a way to have the kitten isolated in a room for a day or two to help him adjust.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lisa1706

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok. I think kitten will be OK. Im worried about my older cat. Kitten wont be ready until April 23. He will be 10 weeks. He is getting shots and neutered. He is
still on bottle food. I have to put down a deposit to "hold" him. Thx. Ill keep u posted!