New Kitten?

biscuity

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I joined this lovely forum in 2011 when the love of my life, Marmite became ill & died. I cried for months & was desperately grief-stricken. It's only been a couple of years since I started listening to music again. Yes, I had stopped listening to music, I was punishing myself & felt that I shouldn't be happy again. I'm still not fully recovered. My wife has been wonderful. Supporting me though Marmite's illness & helping to pay the animal hospital fees. She has been wanting another furry in the house for quite some time. We have talked about various breeds, but I have delayed for years because I didn't want to feel I was replacing Marmite & many other thoughts & worries.

I had a health scare a few weeks ago, it turned out to be (hopefully) not serious, but there was a quick trip to the hospital for tests. It made me think that I didn't want to miss having another furry friend. I looked on a kittens for sale website & saw a pretty little kitten from a breeder who seems very good. They are a few hours away & they only sell kittens to people who can lok after cats well & who they feel area good match to the kitten's personality. I had a long chat on the phone with them a couple days ago & we are having a Facetime chat this afternoon. To see the kittens & to ask questions & answer the breeder's questions.

I've been worried about the breed. When I was looking for a kitten the first time & found Marmite, I settled on a British Shorthair as I love how they look & their personality. They also tend to be very happy as house cats. Marmite was a British Blue Shorthair. The kitten I am considering is also a British Blue Shorthair. She would be a different fur person of course with a difference appearance & personaility, but still the same basic breed & colour. She would be loved to bits.

Is it right to get the same breed & colour again?

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I'm very sorry for the loss of Marmite. :angel: I can understand and relate to what you're going through. Our pets become an integral part of our life. I'm also sorry that you have been experiencing some health problems of your own but hope it is nothing serious and you can add a new kitty to your family.

As GoldyCat GoldyCat said above, some of us are naturally drawn to certain breeds of cats. My husband is the same way. Good luck with the FaceTime chat this afternoon. I will keep my fingers crossed for your wife and you. :crossfingers: Please check back to let us know how everything turns out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

biscuity

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your replies.

The Facetime chat went very well & the breeders told us that they would be pleased for us to buy one of their kittens. They seem very careful about who they would let buy one of their kittens & I find that very comforting. They let us watch them play with all the kittens & especially the one that interests me. She really was a little cutie & was investigating the laptop which gave is a good close look at her. She seems well adjusted & healthy & of course very pretty. We have arranged to visit next weekend & if all goes well, will be placing a reservation for when she is ready to leave her mum.

The eyes turn to deep amber after a few months.

tinydestroyer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What a beautiful kitten! I completely agree: the right furry buddy for you is one with whom you connect! I'm happy for this new friend for you, and I'm sure Marmite would be too. Please keep us updated on your new adoption process, and congrats!

biscuity

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you both for your kind words.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you for your replies.

The Facetime chat went very well & the breeders told us that they would be pleased for us to buy one of their kittens.
All good news! :thumbsup: Thanks for getting back to us. We look forward to greeting your new girl when she is ready to join your family. :cutecat:

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am glad to hear that you are opening your heart and your home to a new fur kid. Your new baby will never replace Marmite but instead will help you create new memories. The bond with Marmite can never be broken. The new baby will have their own personality and create a new bond with you. I believe that when you open your heart and home to a new fur baby after a loss you are honoring your baby by giving another fur baby a chance to have a loving safe home.

biscuity

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We visited over the weekend & it went very well. We were able to spend a couple of hours playing with the kittens & talking with the breeder. We have now paid a deposit on this little cutie, pictured below with my wife. She is now 8 weeks old & will be ready to come home with us when she is 13 weeks. We have named her Coojee (pronounced coo-chee).

biscuity

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We collected our beautiful Coojee 2 weeks ago. She is a lovely kitten, kind, beautiful & very intelligent. She was fully litter & scratch post trained. The trip home was long & we tried to make it as easy as we could for Coojee, but it was a hard trip for her. The next day she settled in to our bedroom & by day 2, she was very happy running around the house. Pleased to play & to be with us both. We are now having our regular play times & I am weaning her off her raw chicken weaning paste onto the highest quality kitten complete wet food I could find. She learns things so quickly & is such a sweet kitten, a pure joy to be with.