New kitten, worried mom

whisperzs

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, I’m new to the site, I’m not even sure if I’m posting in the right place, I got a new Scottish fold male kitten today I have two other cats but I never had a baby kitten. I adopted my other cats as adults, I just noticed the kittens stool and it doesn’t seem normal to me and it smelled really bad, I can’t take him to the vet until Tuesday, unless it’s really urgent..should I be worried, any advise and help is appreciated..

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

whisperzs

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, thank you ! He’s two months old ! He’s very sweet and playful so his energy seems to be okay, but he’s a little bloated and I’ve only had him for half a day so I still didn’t get a chance to take him to the vet

ZaxCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Kittens often get a bit of stomach upset when moving to a new home - stress and changes in diet etc. This looks within the range of normalish to me, reasonable colour (i.e brown, not black or white or green or with any blood, etc) just a bit squishy, but please note I'm not a vet, just a kitten owner myself!

What food was he on before, and have you given him different food? A change in food can cause a bit of upset. And does he otherwise seem well - has he had a wee, and does he have a decent appetite and lots of energy? And since you mentioned bloating - do you know when he was last wormed? Has he had a vet check at the breeder? It's a good idea to take a new kitten to the vet for a check up as soon as possible after bringing them home to just check all is well.

whisperzs

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’m feeding him the same food he was having at the breeders, it’s not the same brand I give my cats so I was hoping to gradually switch, but for now I thought I’d wait to take him to the vet first, I got the kitten as a gift so I don’t know much about his history but the breeder informed them that we should take him to get vaccinated in two weeks, since it was late in the day I didn’t manage to take him to the vet yet so I guess I’ll do that early in the morning ! He was eating okay, and drinking water too, I did see his stool the first time and it seemed kind of okay, didn’t smell bad or anything, but the second time smelled really bad and looked different and I was already a little worried about him being a little bloated so I figured I’d ask around. I feel a little better knowing it might be okay, thank you both for replying I really appreciate it

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Oh by the way, somewhat off the subject of his tummy but still inclusive of any stress he might be feeling, you could pick up a purr toy, and try some classical harp music - it's surprising how relaxing that can be for kittens :)

whisperzs

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He played a little with some toys, ran around watched tv with me too, I noticed he gets a little scared from sudden movements but he seemed to relax a little after a few hours. He even jumps up on my bed and cuddles with me to sleep. I’ll try the harp music !

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
He even jumps up on my bed and cuddles with me to sleep.
aww, he sounds a total doll-baby!
I just had one other thought, ...well two actually lol
When you get his tummy squared away be sure and feed him as much as he can eat, in several small meals of canned and a bit of extra of kibble until he's at least a year old.

Let us know what the vet says :)

And, when he gets a little older be sure and let us know if you have any issues or questions - we can help with just about anything these darling little creatures can come up with :heartshape:

Juniper_Junebug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Take what I say with a grain of salt, because I'm a first time cat owner, but my kitten had similar stools (loose, light brown, powerfully stinky) when I got her and it turned out to be giardia. It could just as easily be something else, like the stress of the move, but since you have two healthy cats, you might want to take extra care with cleanliness and segregation until you go to the vet. (Aside from the difficulty in eradicating it, giardia has not been particularly worrisome for us).

whisperzs

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I took my kitten to the vet today, he seemed to be in good shape aside from his stool, the vet was super sweet too and was very informative (for once) she checked for giardia and the test came out negative. I sent them a stool sample when I got back home, I ended up falling asleep so I missed their call, I spoke with the receptionist when I woke up and she asked me to come back tomorrow morning because “the doctor wants to show you how to give the kitten the medicine” I asked for the test result and she told me the doctor left and she’ll discuss it with me tomorrow so I’m still a little worried..hoping it’s nothing too serious :”)

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You should feed the kitten kitten food wet and/or dry, until he is one year old. I would free feed dry food and feed wet twice a day.

Welcome to a career as feline staff!

whisperzs

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Let us know what the vet says :)

[/QUOTE]

It’s coccidiosis, the parasite she found is Isospora, she gave him medication for today, and two more doses, for the next two days and asked for a stool sample on Thursday. I don’t know much about it so I’m reading now. :sigh:

ZaxCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Glad you found out what it was! Best of luck to you and your kitty, hope he gets better soon!