New Kitten Won't Leave Cat Alone While In Litter Box

juju521

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a new kitten (3.5 months) and a resident 10 month old kitten. I'm in the final stages of the introduction phase where they're together while I'm home to supervise. They're doing fairly well while I'm able to supervise and trying to get to the final stage of letting them be while I'm not home.

My problem is that the new kitten runs straight to the litter box as soon as he hears her in it and tries to go in the box with her and get on top of her (he's neutered) or paws at her while she's trying to use it. They're using each other's boxes interchangeably at this point and he does this no matter which box she uses. I have two boxes. One in the bedroom where he stays when I'm not home and one in the bathroom. How do I attempt to get the kitten to leave her alone while using the box? It doesn't seem like aggresive behavior as much as playfullness (but what do I know). I definitely don't want the resident cat to start avoiding the box because he won't leave her alone. Im currently picking him up and removing him from the room and closing the door until the resident cat is done doing her business. Anything else I can do?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm kinda sitting here giggling just a little...now your older cat knows how YOU feel when you can't get to the bathroom alone to save your life! Actually, what you are doing is probably the best (and possibly the only) thing to be done until the younger kitten matures just a wee bit, unless there is a place you can put a litter box for the older cat that the kitten cannot reach. We have had members resort to placing a litter box in a room after installing an automatic cat door that ONLY opens for a cat wearing a chipped collar, but that's an extreme solution to what may well be a temporary problem. File it away for future reference if things get worse and stay that way!