New Kitten Won't Eat

nalaragdoll

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just got my new kitten yesterday. She is very sweet, but she has been crying a lot since I got her. I know it's normal, new home, missing her mom and siblings etc. I'm more worried about her not eating. I have showed her where the food is, she has dry food and water and I just got her some wet food to see if she would eat that, but nope sadly she wouldn't. She may have eaten something last night while I was asleep, but I kinda doubt it. Any suggestions getting her to eat? Should I just wait it out and see? She's 12 weeks btw.

oonawingedwolf

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A new cat can take a few days to calm down, keep offering food and being calm around her she will come around. If its been a few days try a topper like tuna water or the tuna itself or some cheese to entice her to eat. She has had her system shocked so try to be patient. She will eat. She just needs to be sure she is safe first.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Try warming up some wet food for her. It makes it smell more appetizing and she might be tempted by that. You could also try crumbling a few treats over her wet food.

Is she drinking anything?

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Common for a new kitten not to eat the first day, always have fresh food and water out for her, she should start eating when you are not in the room, if she is a shy kitten. Is it the same food she was eating at her previous home?

Enjoy your new kitten :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nalaragdoll

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry for the very late reply, she did eat eventually. It took about a day. She prefers wet food, she doesn't seem that fond of the dry food. I gave her the wet and dry food she was used at home before I got her. She devour the wet food but only nibble on the dry food. Maybe I should try something else, any ideas? Also, she drinks A LOT of water. It kinda makes me worried. Is she sick? She was just at the vet the day before I got her, I'm worried it might be the kidneys, but she passed her health check, is she just thirsty?

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she prefers wet that great. just give her as much as she will eat, several times per day. maybe keep the dry out just in case she gets hungry. also keep out a bowl of fresh water. some cats drink more than others. as long as the vet says she is ok i wouldn't worry, unless she starts acting sick.

You can always try a different brand of dry, to supplement the wet, mine like some brands a lot more than others.

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My old vet used to tell me the worst canned food is better than the best dry food. In other words, the canned is better. Don't worry about the dry. I'm glad she is eating now! YAY!
How exciting....a new kitten!

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kittens require a lot of food. First they can be very active and they are growing. Most cats don't reach full growth until they are one year old. Several breeds, Maine Coon and Norwegian Forest cats contuse to grow until they reach three or four years old.