New kitten with watery stool

OllieBoy99

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone. I just got my first kitten ever and I'm very excited! (brought him home yesterday) Today I saw him use the litterbox and realize he had watery stool. So far today he has only gone 2 time since 10 am this morning. No accidents and he went into the litterbox to poop and buried. He is still active and running around and climbing.

I fed him differnt foods than what he was being fed at the rescue as well as some kitten canned food so I think the change in diet is what upsetted his tummy as well as stress due to new enviroment. I boiled chicken and added water to the chicken, he eats it and drinks the water so I don't think he is dehydated. When should I start to add more kitten food back? Should I try any pumpkin?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site and congratulations on the new kitten! The simplest explanation is that probably the change in food is causing the diarrhea. Using pumpkin is a good idea. One tablespoon is the usual for an adult cat, so start out with a little less and see what happens. Some cats will eat pumpkin, some will eat it mixed in food, and some food manufacturers make a food with pumpkin in it. Since the kitten seems healthy, you can start to transition back to kitten food. You might consider returning to what was used in the shelter although if you are trying to upgrade the food to a better formulation, give the pumpkin a chance first.

Has the kitten been wormed? That can be a cause of diarrhea and for that you should see a vet. If you don't have one, you can ask for recommendations locally from the Nextdoor app or other sources such as friends or relatives. If for some reason the diarrhea continues, even if the kitten does seem fine, a vet visit is in order. If anything else emerges, which it more than likely will not, definitely see a vet.

Maggiez

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I came across the same situation when I brought my pair of 6-month kittens back from their foster home. My girl is more confident and had no issues. My boy Loki had watery stools for quite a while (like 2 to 3 weeks).

I was very worried and took him to see the vet. It ended up being a useless trip and the prescribed probiotic didn't work. Even worse, I called in advance and asked the reception if I should bring his stool sample. They said no need. But when I was there, they asked for the sample and I didn't have it. They had to extract a sample at the vet. He screamed so miserable that my heart still hurts when I think about it!

At the time, I read more on cat food and started to reduce their dry kibbles and add raw food to their meals. The watery stool stopped after 2 weeks. Before I switched the food they both had very stinky poops. The smell totally disappeared after they transferred to raw + canned. Also, these days I can switch proteins easily without upsetting their stomach.

I think the new environment and change of food are probably the cause. If the shelter has dewormed him, I wouldn't worry too much.

Many people have recommended pumpkins and I think it might worth trying. Feel like kitten food is more of a marketing thing and it's not necessary.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

OllieBoy99

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site and congratulations on the new kitten! The simplest explanation is that probably the change in food is causing the diarrhea. Using pumpkin is a good idea. One tablespoon is the usual for an adult cat, so start out with a little less and see what happens. Some cats will eat pumpkin, some will eat it mixed in food, and some food manufacturers make a food with pumpkin in it. Since the kitten seems healthy, you can start to transition back to kitten food. You might consider returning to what was used in the shelter although if you are trying to upgrade the food to a better formulation, give the pumpkin a chance first.

Has the kitten been wormed? That can be a cause of diarrhea and for that you should see a vet. If you don't have one, you can ask for recommendations locally from the Nextdoor app or other sources such as friends or relatives. If for some reason the diarrhea continues, even if the kitten does seem fine, a vet visit is in order. If anything else emerges, which it more than likely will not, definitely see a vet.
Thank you! I will head out and get some pumpkin for the little guy. He was on friskies kitten dry which I really want to switch him off of. Can I still give the kitten canned food even with the water stool? or stay on chicken and water until solid? I also have bene-bec , can I sprinkle some in the chicken?

I was told he was dewormed and checked over by the vet before being adopted out but I already made another appointment with my own vet for next week.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I can understand that you want to give him a higher quality food. In the short term, I would continue the chicken and include the pumpkin. I have not used BeneBac, but know what it is. Usually those supplements are quite safe to include and might help with the diarrhea. Good for you to have made an appointment with the vet to make sure that things are okay. I agree that the change of living situation and food are probably all that are responsible for the diarrhea but you don't want it to continue.

OllieBoy99

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Maggiez Maggiez
I work at a small local pet shop and we are huge advocates for raw (complete and balanced of course) so I would be more than willing to try. I will try the pumpkin first and keep him on the chicken and water for the next day and see how it goes. Hopefully it was just the change in food, he is still super active and perfectly fine so I going to try not to panic too quickly

OllieBoy99

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Another question I have. Can I use equine pine pellets as litter for him? He’s 8 -9 weeks old. I did get clumping litter but I’m worried he will eat it when licking his feet. He really liked go play with the pine pellets

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have never used pine litter but believe it is safe for kittens from what I have read. I would watch him in any case so that he does not ingest any litter, especially if he is inclined to play in it or lick his feet.