New kitten with Jack Russell

melbatoastmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hello- first time poster here.
I'm wondering if we made a mistake in adopting a kitten while having a high prey drive dog (ie- she chases squirrels and bunnies with passion) in the house? I didn't realize that such a thing could be an issue until I started digging for ways to introduce dogs to new cats (stupidly AFTER we brought the kitten home).

I didn't even think it could be an issue because We had an older cat (whom we recently had to say goodbye to due to kidney failure) and the dog left her alone for the most part---occasionally chasing her down the stairs of the bedrooms. The dog was adopted in when the cat was about 10 years old.

I suffer from some heavy duty anxiety and a friend suggested I come up with a plan to help which is why I am here-asking those with a lot of cat experience :)

Current situation: The kitten had an URI when we adopted her (from SPCA) so they sent us home with abx and eye drops. Because of this we have had her quarantined in our (large) bathroom and will be keeping her in there for at least another week. The dog has only had peeks at her from a distance when the bathroom door opens. I have noticed though, the dog becoming very rigid and focused on the door when the kitten makes noise (eating or scratching in litter box) and she has come tearing down the stairs barking when she hears the meows. :oops: Also rigid and laser focused when she peeks at her from 10 feet away.

Once the kitty is better I planned on introducing them through scent first and then the gate. Then feeding on either side of gate. I am so so so nervous though- like keeping me up all night nervous---I would hate for the kitty to get hurt and the past few days make me feel like the dog can be unpredictable. I am reading these horror stories of "dogs that seems fine with cat" attacking and killing it. sigh. How much time do I give it? Do I just trust my instincts that it isn't going to work and plan to rehome her soon? (I would of course talk with the place we adopted her about this) Could this possibly work out? The dog is only 11 pounds but honestly- is not well trained- and FAST. She also has anxiety and hides under the bed all day and comes out for walks and food and to play at night. We have a tiny house and don't really have a good "permanent" safe space for the cat if we needed to keep them separated permanently. We also have 2 kids (12 and 14) who are in LOVE with the kitten. What do I do? :help: One last thing: I am pretty sure I have some PTSD from witnessing our dog and a dog we were sitting for get into a nasty fight. I got in the middle of it because it looked like the other dog was going to kill our dog and was bitten. Our doggie has been a bit jumpy around other dogs since then as well.

Ugh- why do I have to suck at thinking things through?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
The dog is only 11 pounds but honestly- is not well trained- and FAST.
She also has anxiety and hides under the bed all day and comes out for walks and food and to play at night.
You need to get training for the dog right away.

the past few days make me feel like the dog can be unpredictable.
Trust your instincts. Absolutely keep the dog on a leash, or better, contained in a crate or completely separated, even when you're there to supervise/intervene. You won't be fast enough, and the kitten won't be either, and may not be when grown. Cat trees can be somewhat helpful, but the bottom line is your dog needs to be trained.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Furballsmom Furballsmom took the words right off of my fingertips. FInd a trainer, or a class, and get your dog enrolled immediately. I have seen well-trained Jack Russells respond to a "DOWN" command even with prey right in front of them. And I promise, both your family and your dog will be happier. Dog need to know that someone is in control. They are absolutely happier that way.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

melbatoastmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much <3 I am definitely looking into hiring a trainer. I have read that small dogs often have bad manners because we can just pick them up if they are misbehaving and overlook other things because they are so small. Not a proud moment, but yes- I do think we will all be happier if she knew a few commands solidly.

ZombieTiger

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't have any experience with cats and dogs together , and I probably won't be able to help much, but can I ask how old the dog is?

Not to make things worse for you, but you might be right. Plenty of dogs get along with cats, but terriers especially have a very high prey drive (for a reason), and might not be the best type of dog to keep with other "small" animals like rabbits and cats.

A Parsons terrier might be small in size, but it's really not a lapdog.

They also sound like they have some issues. Hiding under a bed is not a normal thing for a terrier. I agree that you should find a dog trainer that can help you. Have them see the dog on neutral ground as well as where the cat and the rest of the family lives. Tell them what you know about the dog's history.

Not saying there is anything wrong with the dog, just that that type of dog might not be a god fit for you. Some terriers are very quirky.

Edit: I'm a little confused, did you have a dog before and adopted a cat or the other way around?

Last edited:

melbatoastmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't have any experience with cats and dogs together , and I probably won't be able to help much, but can I ask how old the dog is?

Not to make things worse for you, but you might be right. Plenty of dogs get along with cats, but terriers especially have a very high prey drive (for a reason), and might not be the best type of dog to keep with other "small" animals like rabbits and cats.

A Parsons terrier might be small in size, but it's really not a lapdog.

They also sound like they have some issues. Hiding under a bed is not a normal thing for a terrier. I agree that you should find a dog trainer that can help you. Have them see the dog on neutral ground as well as where the cat and the rest of the family lives. Tell them what you know about the dog's history.

Not saying there is anything wrong with the dog, just that that type of dog might not be a god fit for you. Some terriers are very quirky.
Thanks for your reply :cool: These are good questions. Doggie is about 7 years old (rescue so we don't know exactly). She definitely has issues. Vet tried putting her on anxiety medication but after a month we saw zero difference. Either way I'm realizing training will help her to be more confident. We have been talking about finishing our basement (the old cat's domain) and I'm wondering if we do we could let it be the new cat's nightly domain and have her with us during day while the dog is upstairs. Once Hermione (Kitten) feels better and can see what things look like with the dog in closer proximity.

ZombieTiger

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Do you do any activities with her? Like agility, (long-ish) obedience training, tracking? How long and varied are your walks?

Terriers tend to be high energy dogs of the smart kind, it could very easily be that she just doesn't have enough other things to focus on.

It's very difficult to say over the Internet and without knowing her.

Edit: Still reckon that it's best you see a dog trainer before you do anything.

Last edited:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I owned a Jack Russell and cats at the same time, along with a German Shepherd, (my usual breed), a border collie mix ( want to herd things), and a cavalier mix (your troubles are over, they love everyone). Not all these dogs and cats were with me at the same time in my life but there have been consistent cats and dogs for years and years.

To be honest, the Jack Russell did not care about the cats, but that was because prior to cats joining the household she had tried to kill another of my dogs. The attack came out of no where with me standing with both of them in the kitchen. I could not separate them and finally smacked her with a cast iron skillet which, to this day, I am not sure if that caused her to release or not. The attack was serious enough that blood was coming out of the other dog's mouth and all the blood vessels in her eyes broke.

I am not exactly Cesar Millan, but I am experienced with dog and am the "pack leader" so she was muzzled and kept in a separate room and retrained. Now, the good news is that until the day she died (lived to be 17) she remembered that she had done something wrong and if another dog even growled she walked over to me so that I could see that she was not involved.

Your pup has been through something that has made her fearful as the hiding is definitely not a regular behavior of that breed and she probably has her own sad story in her past.

It is good news that your dog left the other cat basically alone, but the laser focus and tearing down the stairs is not. You definitely need a trainer for the dog in order to be sure that everyone will be safe and get along.

melbatoastmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I owned a Jack Russell and cats at the same time, along with a German Shepherd, (my usual breed), a border collie mix ( want to herd things), and a cavalier mix (your troubles are over, they love everyone). Not all these dogs and cats were with me at the same time in my life but there have been consistent cats and dogs for years and years.

To be honest, the Jack Russell did not care about the cats, but that was because prior to cats joining the household she had tried to kill another of my dogs. The attack came out of no where with me standing with both of them in the kitchen. I could not separate them and finally smacked her with a cast iron skillet which, to this day, I am not sure if that caused her to release or not. The attack was serious enough that blood was coming out of the other dog's mouth and all the blood vessels in her eyes broke.

I am not exactly Cesar Millan, but I am experienced with dog and am the "pack leader" so she was muzzled and kept in a separate room and retrained. Now, the good news is that until the day she died (lived to be 17) she remembered that she had done something wrong and if another dog even growled she walked over to me so that I could see that she was not involved.

Your pup has been through something that has made her fearful as the hiding is definitely not a regular behavior of that breed and she probably has her own sad story in her past.

It is good news that your dog left the other cat basically alone, but the laser focus and tearing down the stairs is not. You definitely need a trainer for the dog in order to be sure that everyone will be safe and get along.
Fionasmom,

Thank you for sharing your story- how scary that must have been. I am going to call our vet today to talk with her about training and possibly some other therapies (they do acupuncture there). I realize that this is a cat site:petcat:and I am sorry to focus so much on the dog- but I do really care about the kitten and want a good life for her and if she stays here that means getting the dog straight 😅 Hopefully the vet will have a recommendation. Thanks!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Do you do any activities with her? Like agility, (long-ish) obedience training, tracking? How long and varied are your walks?

Terriers tend to be high energy dogs of the smart kind, it could very easily be that she just doesn't have enough other things to focus on.

It's very difficult to say over the Internet and without knowing her.

Edit: Still reckon that it's best you see a dog trainer before you do anything.
Well, that took the words right off of my fingertips! Even small dogs (maybe even especially small dogs) need walking. Long walks, at least twice a day. It seems to help them be better balanced emotionally, and is certainly a bonding experience for dog and owner. However, since she seems to have some issues, it may be easier to initiate those once she's had some training. If she's good on a leash, however, by all means start that immediately. It won't hurt a thing.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
My Jack Russell was a big walker and ball player. She would play ball forever and most terriers have enough of a prey drive to where that interests them and might run off some of that energy.