New kitten with digestive issues

chaucer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have a good deal of experience with cats, so I fostered two sweet five-week-old Siamese-mix kittens for a rescue recently, and as my donation, I took care of the vet visits. Two days after I got them, the kennel was full of diarrhea tracked everywhere and running down the leg of the smaller kitten necessitating frequent baths, and he had a swollen rectum. .After two vet visits - one to the rescue's vet and one to mine who actually did check to find the cause through fecals - It was determined that McNally (the small one) had coccidea and was down to .98 of a pound which was quite underweight for a six-week-old kitten. Both kittens were wormed for the third time and I received albon and prednisolone administered twice a day for that one and extra albon for the other as a preventative.

Eventually, I returned them to the foster because it was just too much to handle with constant poop. I have three adult cats in the house - one with FIV. - who definitely did not need to contract anything (although they were not around each other). The rescue agreed because they don't foster out sick kittens, so I returned them for extra care with the understanding that I would take them both back when they were better, which I did, and I adopted them. Flash forward and they are 12 weeks old, the one started again with bathroom issues but not bad. It was time for their first shots so back to my vet we went last week. The small kitten was now 1.9 pounds. Another fecal and there were parasites, so more wormer and prednisolone for that kitten. He's been on the latter for four days now. This morning diarrhea full of mucus in the bathtub where he was playing. The kitten is active, friendly, and playful. His brother is robust. Another vet visit this week for McNally, though. Anyone have experience with this type of issue with a kitten?

*The kennel in the picture is not the large one where they stay unless they are in the guest bathroom for exercise. This is the "get acquainted with the rest of the house cats" kennel.

Attachments

Last edited:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't have experience with this, but I had no idea worms could be so challenging to eradicate.

McNally, honey baby!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chaucer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Qwilleran and McNally have been wormed at least four times by this point by the vet and the rescue. I read the prednisolone could cause diarrhea, so he may need off that. They are both so cute.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I guess I am wondering why prednisolone was added to the treatment.

A lot of time probiotics are included along with or immediately following antibiotic treatment. One such yeast-based probiotic that can be used alongside of antibiotics is Saccharomyces boulardii because it does not interfere with the antibiotic as do many bacterial-related probiotics.

The other thing to keep in mind is that certain life stages of coccidia can live for months in the environment, including carpeting. It might be a probable source of your issue. Also, be careful with all the other cats, as it can be passed to them via the environment and some cats have it without showing symptoms. These are cats that can actually eliminate the infection without treatment but as far as I understand they can still pass it on to another cat.

chaucer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi. I guess I am wondering why prednisolone was added to the treatment.

A lot of time probiotics are included along with or immediately following antibiotic treatment. One such yeast-based probiotic that can be used alongside of antibiotics is Saccharomyces boulardii because it does not interfere with the antibiotic as do many bacterial-related probiotics.

The other thing to keep in mind is that certain life stages of coccidia can live for months in the environment, including carpeting. It might be a probable source of your issue. Also, be careful with all the other cats, as it can be passed to them via the environment and some cats have it without showing symptoms. These are cats that can actually eliminate the infection without treatment but as far as I understand they can still pass it on to another cat.
Thank you for your input. I read a lot about coccidia at the time. The kennel is new and I clean it thoroughly. I bought a new litter box, vacuumed the rug underneath the kennel and I vacuum it. I wash their bedding regularly. I have hardwood floors and vinyl in the kitchen and bathrooms. The last fecal for both cats did not show coccidia (I asked). The kittens stay away from the big cats unless I have them in the small kennel, which is recent. I am going to give the litter box the pair share another big cleaning, although it is cleaned twice daily, at least. I've had the kittens back for over two weeks now. His issue gradually started over the past few days, so there could be traces of coccidia remaining.

The prednisolone is for inflammation in his gut. McNally also gets a swollen rectum and irritated anus (sorry for the detail) which seems to be from straining. He also has flatulence when he goes. No other time. He's active, playful, and was the first to figure out how to open the bathroom's sliding door. I'm afraid they are going to have to do a bit more investigation with McNally to get to the cause of this. I also thought of probiotics and maybe some extra fiber. I know the rescue sometimes gives mashed pumpkin, but I don't know about doing that.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think you are probably right in suspecting there is likely a 'side issue' going on with McNally. Poor guy!

I know folks on this site advocate for plain pumpkin to help add fiber - I am not sure how I really feel about it either. I just thought maybe the s. boulardii might 'balance' out his gut bacteria, more so than pumpkin would. But he might be a bit young for it?? Here is an article about its use from a site that addresses IBD/raw feeding in cats - but most of what they talk about applies to cats in general.
S boulardii - Review of the Science - Raw Feeding for IBD Cats

chaucer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
While in the guest bathroom this morning for their play time, one of them pooped in the bathtub again but it looked soft but more normal so I think it might have been Qwilleran instead of McNally. I photographed it (yes, I know that is gross) for the vet. Wish I'd thought to do that yesterday but it was so disgusting and smelly, which this was not, that my first thought was to clean it up. I failed to mention yesterday that the fecal tests taken for both kittens last week showed roundworms and that was it. Calling today for an appointment or an additional med and to ask about probiotics for both. At least they know to use the tub. I guess it looks like a giant litter box, minus the litter.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Some pumpkin can help yes. The probiotics will do better. I don't think the cat would want more fibre when already having a lot of poo.

chaucer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
A Alldara Thanks. I'm concerned about the kitten. He is just over half the size of his brother. True, the fiber could increase the diarrhea. I was hoping it might give some bulk, but at this point, I'm ready to try anything. He doesn't act ill at all like with the coccidia. He's incredibly playful, adventurous, active, and smart. Chaucer, my 10 year-old male cat, has bouts of colitis and has since he was about 6 months old and I have to keep him above 8 pounds, so I'm wondering if this kitten (now 3 months) may be developing something like that.

chaucer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Spoke with the vet and she is putting the kitten back on Albon. I have to try and get a stool sample so I guess I'll let it keep going in the bathtub during play until I get one from him. (I'll know it's his and not his brother's). I asked about probiotics and the vet said I could try a a very small taste of yogurt, but her verdict was out on pumpkin for cats. She said they used that mostly for dogs and cats didn't really take to it as well Her main worry was that some things just don't make it past the stomach acid. She did say I could try a small sprinkle of Metamucil on his food to see if it added bit more bulk (but just a tiny bit for a couple of days). It cannot be the one that has artificial sweeteners.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Spoke with the vet and she is putting the kitten back on Albon. I have to try and get a stool sample so I guess I'll let it keep going in the bathtub during play until I get one from him. (I'll know it's his and not his brother's). I asked about probiotics and the vet said I could try a a very small taste of yogurt, but her verdict was out on pumpkin for cats. She said they used that mostly for dogs and cats didn't really take to it as well Her main worry was that some things just don't make it past the stomach acid. She did say I could try a small sprinkle of Metamucil on his food to see if it added bit more bulk (but just a tiny bit for a couple of days). It cannot be the one that has artificial sweeteners.
I wouldn't give yogurt to a cat. The lactose could make it worse. You can get cat probiotics over the counter such as Purina's Floti-flora.

That's odd about the pumpkin....it's prescribed frequently here for cats with digestive issues.

Did the vet provide a couple cans of digestive kitten food? When we brought Magnus in as a kitten we were given two options for digestive kitten food. It's a very plain chicken and rice diet and was our vet's first go-to to calm his stomach. We chose the Purina one for costs. We go to a cat-specific/only vet.

chaucer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I haven't been to pick up the med yet, but I'll ask about diet. She said only a tiny bit of yogurt maybe, but I agree about the lactose. She's a bit hesitant to try other things until she's sure what it is going on. That's why I'm getting a sample when he has an issue. It could be colitis. The two today have been better. His brother is unaffected.

I live in a small town, but we have several vets. This clinic is only cats, dogs, and horses but the others also handle farm animals.

Love the name Magnus.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I haven't been to pick up the med yet, but I'll ask about diet. She said only a tiny bit of yogurt maybe, but I agree about the lactose. She's a bit hesitant to try other things until she's sure what it is going on. That's why I'm getting a sample when he has an issue. It could be colitis. The two today have been better. His brother is unaffected.

I live in a small town, but we have several vets. This clinic is only cats, dogs, and horses but the others also handle farm animals.

Love the name Magnus.
That makes 100% sense that she wants to wait to find out what's going on.

This is the one Magnus had: EN Gastroenteric® Cat Food for Sensitive Stomach | Purina® Pro Plan Veterinary Diets®

Science Diet and Royal Canin each had one too I think?

The probiotics shouldn't hurt anything, and will be helpful for a bit if they've had any kind of upset going on. I've heard of a few other brands on here but since I haven't tried them, I'll wait for someone else to chime in.

Ps. Thanks on the name!

chaucer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
An update after the fecal samples I collected this morning: McNally still has roundworms. He can't seem to shake this and so the vet is going to try a more powerful dose of wormer. Qwilleran will have it too since they share a kennel. It's a dose once a day for five days and is on top of McNally's Albon. This poor little kitten is a little over half the size of his brother, but I will say that McNally is the smart one and has already opened the sliding door. I think I'm going to start calling them "The Pet Shop Boys" because although they both have the looks, McNally has the brains and Qwilleran has the brawn. I don't think they will make lots of money, however.

chaucer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Went through another round of fecal tests when they had their second shots. Still soft stool, but no roundworms. The vet did say that it should not have taken this long for roundworms to be cured. He thinks they may have an inflammatory condition, virus, or a slightly under-developed immune system since we don't really know their history other than they were taken from a colony at about four weeks old. No mother around. The great thing is that they have gained considerable weight since the last visit. 4.1 for the one who had coccidia and the most trouble. (He was starving at one point) and 4.4 pounds for the other, robust kitten. They will be neutered in two weeks. Both are extremely active, and developing personalities.

I don't really have a safe space for them to play now. They can open the sliding doors. Only one of my adult cats tolerates them and they chase him and jump on him.. I'm concerned about the cat in my profile picture. He is a former semi-feral with a lot of battle scars and does not like them. He is okay if they don't get near him but snarled yesterday when a kitten jumped on the sofa with him. My 13-14 year-old female spends her time hissing and growling but I don't think she will hurt them other than swatting maybe. . Anyway, that's the update on the kittens' health issues. They have greatly improved.