New Kitten with 2 yr old Cat

hadesmaia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 2 year old Male Cat called Hades and have just adopted a 7 week old female kitten called Maia.

We have given Maia her own room with all of the things she needs. At first Hades was scared of little Maia and wouldn't go near her. She kept hissing at him. After 2 days they were both sleeping on the lounge together and everything was fine. But when Maia wakes up and starts to play Hades starts chasing her around the house. I think that he is playing because he doesn't hiss or growl at her, after about a minute Maia will start to hiss at him.

Maia is a very noisy, playful kitten and does not like to be left in a room by herself. If she is awake and by herself she will start to meow until she falls back to sleep or somebody come to see her.

When she is quiet Hades will come and sniff her and then leave her alone, but as soon as she meows or starts playing, he wants to chase her.

Sorry for the long post, but should I let them play like this or should I be seperating them?

Thanks.

vwvixen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I too was wondering about the behavior of my boyfriends cats (2yr old Jarama and 1yr old Urraco) to my new kitten, Miura, that I brought home today. Jarama seems very curious of her, scared, but hisses and for the first time EVER- he has hissed and such at US, while we were trying to give him attention. Urraco seems to be okay with her, curious...a pat with his paw-but without claws. ...I hope the transition goes well.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hissing, spitting and even swatting is a-ok when they are first meeting- screaming and locking together while rabbit kicking each other, is cause for alarm and immediate separation.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hadesmaia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This morning after Hades had chased Maia(kitten) around, Maia got really scared and ended up laying on her back (tummy up) still throwing paws at hades. Hades stood over her, raising his paw and then attempted to bite her on stomach but i broke it up b4 got too bad. Is it usual 4 exsisting cat to portray this sort of behaviour?

monica's six

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by HadesMaia

If she is awake and by herself she will start to meow until she falls back to sleep or somebody come to see her.
That sounds just like my Zoey! That's so cute!
-

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hadesmaia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hades has started chasing Maia around everywhere. He will not leave her alone. After I have seperated them They both want to go back for more. I am just worried that Maia is going to become scared of Hades.
Should I be worried about this or just let them go and seperate them if things get too bad?
How long is this going to last?