New Kitten when we don't have time

Celestoad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sup guys !! I'm new here !! I'm french, I live in Paris and I have a huge twelve year's old cat. He's name is Piyou and just imagine a black and white cat on steriod XD. So I have a question, we want another cat but because Piyou is a bit old and kinda teritorial we think that a kitten would be safer. Do you guys have any advices on adopting a new cat with a grumpy old one already owning the place ?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Celestoad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
ooh thanks ! I'll check this rn. By the way I had another question ! so we want to have a new cat because my doctors said zootherapy is great for my illness but I'm very bussy everyday and I would be able to take care of the new kitten the morning and at the end of the day. So people told me that if the kitten stays with my cat alone it won't be a prob. What do you think ?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think that's a long time during the day for a kitten to be unattended. It would be better if the kitten were contained in a small room that's been kitten proofed.

Plus the kitten will need someone to feed it multiple small meals during the day. Since their stomachs are small, they can't consume large quantities of food yet, but they need a lot of food to support their growing bodies.

Kitten Proofing Your Home: 13 Practical Tips – TheCatSite Articles

A Kitten Or An Older Cat – Which Should You Adopt? – TheCatSite Articles

lucyrima

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's nice that your doctor said a kitten would be good for you, but it's important it be well taken care of - leaving it from the start with an older cat if you are not there could be dangerous... or at least not very good.

CodyMolly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well I don’t think a kitten is good right now since you posted your title “ not having time” great idea to give to your other cat but leaving a baby kitten alone is not a good idea at all. It’s just a baby. Think like a person leaving an infant alone . Your older cat is big and can attack or bite the kitten not realizing it could get hurt and you’re not home to supervise. It definitely need kitten proof and put in a separate room when you’re gone. They do need lots of meals and attention when they’re babies too.nice of you to think of getting a kitten but make sure you have the time. You don’t want to return the kitten then feel awful afterwards if you do that. Your heart will hurt

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How about a little older cat, not a kitten? I mean like 2 or 3? They might be a little easier to leave alone for the day. And it might be easier for your old guy to handle one slightly older not quite so wild as kittens are. Also, I'm sure you know, make sure they don't interact unsupervised until you're sure they are going to get along or at least tolerate each other.

I always think of myself, as an older person I would not want someone bringing in a small child/baby and then leaving me alone with it.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If you go ahead with this, you need time, first and foremost.
It's going to be a looooong intro process that might not even work if you say your cat is territorial. Nobel is slow-to-warm and it took one year to fully integrate Magnus.

I don't really recommend getting one kitten with one older cat like that. I have regrets on it, and in this forum we've seen many struggle with it. Its better to adopt two kittens at the same time. Kittens can get only kitten syndrome, and your kitten will be separated for a long time from your other cat during introductions so that makes it basically alone and at risk. Plus no one to help with the energy level during the day.

The above is much of the reason why I would also agree that a cat who is older than 1 or 2 would be best. They still have a lot of energy and are fun but don't need the time and energy a kitten does..you can get one based on personality and see what matches best with your grumpy older cat.

Also please consider getting your older vetted for arthritis and dental if you haven't. That made Nobel much less grumpy.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think its a terrible idea. Cats have a harder time making new cat friends as they age, and most senior cats hate other cats initially, with it often being a long and stressful introduction process. Kittens with their high activity level and unwillingness to respect boundaries are perhaps hated more on average, but at least they dont ever get attacked for real with intent to injure. Older less active cats might respect boundaries better and not jump on the 12 year old like a kitten likely would, but unlike adding a kitten, adding another adult cat can lead to real fights. Either way, its often a long difficult introduction, and you dont have time for it.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think its a terrible idea. Cats have a harder time making new cat friends as they age, and most senior cats hate other cats initially, with it often being a long and stressful introduction process. Kittens with their high activity level and unwillingness to respect boundaries are perhaps hated more on average, but at least they dont ever get attacked for real with intent to injure. Older less active cats might respect boundaries better and not jump on the 12 year old like a kitten likely would, but unlike adding a kitten, adding another adult cat can lead to real fights. Either way, its often a long difficult introduction, and you dont have time for it.
This 100% was our experience.

When we brought our kitten home (which is now well over 3 years ago) our older one (10ish at that time) was NOT happy at all even with the kitten being extremely well behaved with her. She came to us very well socialized, understanding her boundaries with elders. Never even attempted to bother the older one but even still the older one was totally annoyed by her. Took a long time for them to be truly comfortable with each other.

They have learned to live with each other nicely at least, share resources fine and once in a blue moon, have a short play session but for the most part each do their own thing and not once have I ever seen them groom each other. They sometimes sleep near each other but that's a rarity and they are by no means touching each other when sleeping.

They are now nearly 4 and 13, respectively.

I'm positive if they ever had to be split up for any reason, neither would care in the least.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Echoing what everyone has said about this being a really bad idea. Does your doctor know how busy you are? More, does your doctor grasp that animals, especially very young ones, have their own needs and are wholly dependent on their owners?