New kitten using resident cat's litter box

Kellynorrrris

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've been posting on here a lot in the whirlwind of new cat introductions - so forgive me and also thanks for all the advice.
The introduction between my new cat Biscuit (7 months) and resident Pimento (6 years) is going well. After one week, we've allowed them to leave their separate areas to meet, and this is going well and pretty much as expected/normal.
Biscuit, despite using his own litter box in the last week, has now taken to using Pimento's litter box. I'm sure this is common, but wonder if this might deter Pimento from using it. It probably depends on the cat. Pimento is not acting overly defensive nor territorial, though it's still somewhat early to tell. Pimento observed Biscuit use his litter box and didn't seem upset over it. Now I'm just waiting on Pimento to use his litter box to see if he still wants to.
Normal? Solutions? Advice?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
It is normal for cats to share litter boxes. They may prefer one over another because of size, location, litter or even because of the smell of the other cat. As long as neither is blocking the other from using a box or using the floor in protest over box sharing, it’s just fine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kellynorrrris

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It is normal for cats to share litter boxes. They may prefer one over another because of size, location, litter or even because of the smell of the other cat. As long as neither is blocking the other from using a box or using the floor in protest over box sharing, it’s just fine.
I figured they’d be extra territorial over this space as they’re still getting to know each other. I’ll make sure I have a third box just in case for preference.