New kitten tries to nurse on older male cat

Hobiflowery

Minnie
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello guys, we recently got a new kitten as a buddy for our fixed 2 year old boy. They get along quite well, despite our worries that Sammy, our older cat, might be jealous as he's super affectionate with us and maybe wouldn't want to share. Milo is 14 weeks old, affectionate and playful. We also had him checked per vet already, he's really healthy.
They both play a lot and chase each other through the apartment. They aren't cuddling properly yet but often lay next to each other when they aren't playing. Yesterday Sammy started to grab him many times so he can lick and bite him gently, which we count as a good sign as Milo purrs super loud when he does that. He looks relaxed too.
But today we noticed that Milo tries to push his face into Sammys belly like he's trying to nurse on him like he would as a baby with his mother. Sammy is quite confused with this, so he kinda backs off as he doesn't understand what Milo is trying to do. The little guy tried it two times already today.
He wasn't separated to early from his mother either and we got him only a few days ago. Despite everything else he settled in quickly and seems to feel comfortable and confident in our apartment. Is there an explanation to why he does this?
Thanks in advance 💕

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Some kittens, even into adulthood, are sucklers. Milo might also be teething too. Try some different types of blankets to see if you can distract Milo to suckle/chew on them instead of Sammy. There are also suckler/chew toys you can buy as well.
Amazon.com : Octhems Catnip Toys for Indoor Cats - 5PCS Plush Cat Chew Toys Teething Interactive Catnip Filled Kitten Toy Soft Pet Toy (Small Animal) : Pet Supplies
Amazon.com : 6 PCS/Set Simulation Inchworm Cat Toys Funny Interactive Cat Chew Toys for Kitten Kitty Cat Kicker Teething Chew : Pet Supplies

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hobiflowery

Minnie
Young Cat
Purraise
Some kittens, even into adulthood, are sucklers. Milo might also be teething too. Try some different types of blankets to see if you can distract Milo to suckle/chew on them instead of Sammy. There are also suckler/chew toys you can buy as well.
Amazon.com : Octhems Catnip Toys for Indoor Cats - 5PCS Plush Cat Chew Toys Teething Interactive Catnip Filled Kitten Toy Soft Pet Toy (Small Animal) : Pet Supplies
Amazon.com : 6 PCS/Set Simulation Inchworm Cat Toys Funny Interactive Cat Chew Toys for Kitten Kitty Cat Kicker Teething Chew : Pet Supplies
Hi, thank you for your answer, I will try that! We have a pet store nearby that has soft/teething toys, I will go buy one tomorrow as all shops are closed today 😊 I was worried it might be a sign of him looking for comfort as he's still new in this apartment and it's also such a different environment as he's from a farm - but at the same time he seems really comfortable here 🤔

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This isn't anywhere near unusual. Sammy may even swat him a time or two, teaching him not to do that, but that's the same thing his mother would have done while weaning, so it's not a real issue. LOL, the worst that could happen is that Sammy decides "what the heck," and allows him to nurse. Won't harm either of them a bit (although Sammy may start producing milk...it's called "relactation," and occurs in almost all mammals, even males), so long as they are both happy with the situation.

lunch

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you decide to explore more options for little Milo to suckle on, my recommendation would be a soothing bed like this:

Screen Shot 2023-06-08 at 10.20.53 PM.png

My (much older) kitten has one he kneads and sucks on until he is completely at peace.
It is definitely his happy place :hearthrob:

The bed gets very wet...but it's machine washable :lol:

Annieca2016

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a friend whose male cat is the patient kitten rearer of her two when she fosters. Many of the kittens try to nurse on Licorice and Licorice is like "Fine, but you're not getting any milk and I'm gonna swat you once you bite me a few too many times." It's amusing but never has caused us any concern!

Hobiflowery

Minnie
Young Cat
Purraise
This isn't anywhere near unusual. Sammy may even swat him a time or two, teaching him not to do that, but that's the same thing his mother would have done while weaning, so it's not a real issue. LOL, the worst that could happen is that Sammy decides "what the heck," and allows him to nurse. Won't harm either of them a bit (although Sammy may start producing milk...it's called "relactation," and occurs in almost all mammals, even males), so long as they are both happy with the situation.
Hey there, sorry for the late answer!
Sammy mostly just goes on his back paws, like a meerkat and looks hella confused, then he leaves xD And wow I didn't know that! So far I didn't see it happen again so maybe Milo got it that Sammy doesn't like it at all

Hobiflowery

Minnie
Young Cat
Purraise
If you decide to explore more options for little Milo to suckle on, my recommendation would be a soothing bed like this:

View attachment 451920

My (much older) kitten has one he kneads and sucks on until he is completely at peace.
It is definitely his happy place :hearthrob:

The bed gets very wet...but it's machine washable :lol:
We have one like this, but typical cat like, both of my cats ignore beds completely and prefer the ground lol. Didn't see Milo trying to nurse on Sammy anymore tho so maybe it was just part of him trying to settle in and get comfort