New Kitten - Strange Meowing

Callas

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A couple weeks ago I've adopted a new kitten. He's the most active kitten I've ever seen - constantly playing, chasing toys and ghosts (?), flying around the house - and flowers flying down the windowsills - in others words, always on the move and searching for new ways to make some mess. I consider it normal and quite lovely behavior - he is only ~3.5 months old after all.
What considers me and doesn't seem so normal - every time I take him on my lap, he starts meowing. I've tried petting him, brushing him, not even touching him - no matter what I do, he is meowing and looking kind of miserable. By the way, I am not even holding him down or somehow restricting his movements, he just sits on my lap, stares at me and screams... The same moment I put him away, he starts playing and being his usual self.
Any ideas what's happening to him? I do not understand what he's trying to tell me...

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had that happen with several young kittens. In fact most kittens get a little whiney at some point during the day. They just look at you and cry - breaks your heart. I think they are getting tired and are looking for their mom or a mom substitute. Sometimes if you snuggle them up against your neck and stroke their nose they will settle down and go to sleep. Sometimes giving them a snack works too. I had one though that required me walking and singing to her while she sucked on a finger to stop the meowing.

Last edited:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For some odd reason it sounds like he is unsure/scared about being held. Offer treats, food seems to hold their attention for a few moments. Cuddle and hold him firmly and for just a few moments and then put him down again. Do this several times a day until he gets more used to it. You might try just stroking him while he is on the ground to get him used to your touch. It sound like he is trying to ask for something, i hope others can think of what it might be! This is rather perplexing, most kittens like to be cuddled,

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Callas

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If I'm stroking or cuddling him while he is on the ground, he's fine. Sometimes he starts purring, sometimes sees that as invitation to play. He also follows me around like a doggy and often rubs against my legs, so he doesn't seem too scared of me. The strange meowing happens only if I put him on my lap.
I will try giving him the treats next time. Was afraid to do that at first as not to reinforce such behavior (meowing instead of relaxing) but I am ready to do anything that would help.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He must be frightened or worried about something by being on your lap. It must bring on strange feelings? Maybe he fell from a lap when he was tinier, etc. Hope treats and added attention from you re enforce the idea that it is a good thing!

LAL

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is it possible that being on your lap somehow causes him pain? Something about the position he sits in?