new kitten; seeking advice

aeevr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This tiny, starving kitten approached my SO in his office's parking lot.

SO called me. I brought food and a carrier and we caught him.

He was impressively calm for that trauma. He even made eye contact and gave slow blinks.

I really believed he was VERY adoptable.

We brought him to the local shelter.

They estimated his age to be 5 weeks, 1.2 lbs.

I called for updates. The shelter made it sound like he was an un-socializable because he hissed when they reached inside his cage?!?!?!? I was afraid they would euthanize. They wouldn't let me foster him since I'd not been thru their training program.

So now he's here.

I want to get him off the Science Diet kibble they were feeding him at the shelter.

He LOVES wet food, but since I started giving him wet his poos are really soft and bordering on diarrhea. 

I loathe to only give him SD - he doesn't go at it with anything nearing the same gusto he has for wet and plus it's crap.

I gave him some yogurt today and will be buying pumpkin.

I have a box of FortiFlora that expired 9/2012; should I use that?

They gave him advantage @ the shelter. He was covered in flea dirt when I got him home. I've been combing and rubbing him down with a wet paper towel every day. I haven't found a single flea and no reoccurrence of the flea dirt. I can't bathe him as he was neutered 8 days ago - well now I can bathe him I guess.You think there are still fleas that I'm not seeing?

I have 2 other cats treated with Revolution. You think that would be enough to kill any fleas Spooky may have brought in?

Cats are still adjusting the kitten, but today Lacey (2.3 yrs old) played with the kitten. There has been much hissing on the part of the older cats. I did introductions like 85-90% properly ;)

Spooky is remarkably calm, bold and confident. Those shelter people totally hoodwinked me.

Behold: Special Agent Fox "Spooky" Mulder!

jmljml19

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
for the canned food, have you been giving him several different flavors? cause my vet recommended to me when my kitten was on soft food and was having the same soft stool to only give her one flavor and only a small amount each day. I ended up taking her off of it fully and her stool has been normal ever since. but I don't recommend giving the kitten anything expired, it most likely won't be potent enough to help.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How long ago did you get him? He looks to be more like 3 months old in them. He may have a slight allergy to some of the ingredients in the wet food you have been giving him, but I would say it is the dry food. The Fortiflora being expired could be a problem. I wouldn't give it to him.

The shelter saw you as a soft touch and took advantage of that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

aeevr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I got him exactly 1 week ago. Those pictures were taken when we got him home. He weighed 2.3 lbs last Monday @ the time of his neutering.

He looks much smaller in real life. I think it's his big serious face that makes him look older.