New kitten questions

nwengel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone, I recently adopted a new kitten. My sweet Charlotte died in December, so it has been 17 years since I have had a kitten.
7986C1D6-8D5C-4D87-B342-48D638E3336D.jpeg

Phoebe is sweet, loving, and extremely playful. I got her from a rescue and she is thriving. Her coat is a bit unusual…she kind of looks like a tabby from the front (her belly is adorably spotted) but her back is more like a tortie, mostly dark with some red in it. I think she’s adorable! However, I do have a couple questions!

034B953F-E494-4838-9CFD-B39239554948.jpeg

The first question is about scratching. She has two scratching areas but prefers the carpet or couch. She didn’t react to dried catnip or catnip spray, so I put treats on or near them. The problem is, she likes to play with her treats so she usually just bats them off. I’m not quite sure how to motivate her, or deter her from the carpet. So far I only say “no” and she usually stops because she is still a little skittish (her mama is feral). However, she obviously is not learning from that as she continues to do it.

My second question is about when I pick her up. She flops over on her back and stretches out full length, like it feels so good! I’ve heard this is a trait of ragdolls, but she obviously isn’t. Does anyone have a cat, not a ragdoll, that does this? I wonder if it will last into adulthood.

My last question is about her behavior.The other day she arched her back, puffed up, and ran at me sideways. I thought she was going to attack me, but it was so funny I couldn’t stop laughing, she is so small. Is this aggressive behavior?

She’s really quite a little kitty. She grooms my hand when she is done grooming herself. She starts purring when I say her name. I was heartbroken when Charlotte died and I miss her so much. I’m so happy to have Phoebe to love now.

Thanks for any help you are able to provide.
2FBF9981-1A25-4E4C-8808-3A6DB9DB10B5.jpeg

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Tx for telling us! Nice. This pattern, tabby and tortie, is usually called for a torbie. Some may call it for patched tabby. Ie tabby with patches...

You dont want her to scrach on couch and sofa, but if she scratches on the carpet its not that bad. At least, as long its no original persian carpet for 1000 dollars apiece for a small one. After all, the easiest way to build a homemade scratching post is to cover it with carpet-tissue...

This attacking pose is with kittens a play - fight... She is playing warrior with you, as she would with another kitten or a puppy...
Of course, giving battle to say, a dog or a fox, they take the same stance, but this is clearly a playing thing. No hostility there...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nwengel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks! I’ve never heard the term torbie before, so I’ve been doing some reading. Her paw pads are all black except for two which are pink, so I think you must be right.

Glad to know she is just playing. Which brings up one more question…as I said she’s a little skittish but seems to love to play chase. I don’t want to do this if she’s actually trying to get away from me. But it seems to be very playful in nature. Is playing chase ok?

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
2 enjoy it your one of the lucky ones with a cat that seems to like being held 3 she is trying to get(invite) you to play with her graycie does that to me all the time if i act like i am stalking her she will dash off and come back trying to tease me into chasing which sadly i cant but she will chase a toy i throw for her carefull though you still need to teach her to play gentle she doesnt know yet not to pounce at you with no claws still :)have fun congrats on your new kitten