New kitten pushing his luck!

Geekchic36

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, this is my first time posting here, so I apologise if I'm not doing this right! My daughter and I recently got a new kitten we already have a 6 year old cat and when he first came to us he was with his sister. The issue is that as often as I'm giving love and attention to our older boy, he still gets jealous as the baby sits on my lap and he's too big to sit there (he's 6kg) anymore, Sylvester just about tolerates Oliver but the kitten does like to push his luck and chases him and will go for his tail when he's relaxing on the cat tree and when that happens sylvester will either get up and walk away or he will bat at him, no claws as yet but I'd like them to get on if at all possible, I'm not sure if they were playing earlier but Oliver was on his back exposing his belly and our older cat went to bite him, although he didn't actually make contact. I'm nervous as I don't want there to be any injuries and I've never had more than 1 cat before. Any advice would be appreciated..I've let them react to each other without reacting if they bat at each other since I figured it was normal.

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The interaction between your cats that you're describing is normal- cats being cats learning how to communicate and get along. They need to do this, so don't interfere. Oliver wouldn't expose his belly to Sylvester if Oliver didn't trust Sylvester. There's no fur flying or blood or any cats hiding away from everybody and everything.

Your interference at this point could turn things bad.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Geekchic36

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The interaction between your cats that you're describing is normal- cats being cats learning how to communicate and get along. They need to do this, so don't interfere. Oliver wouldn't expose his belly to Sylvester if Oliver didn't trust Sylvester. There's no fur flying or blood or any cats hiding away from everybody and everything.

Your interference at this point could turn things bad.
Yes that's what I thought which is why I've not interfered, relived its all normal though so thank you.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Neutered adults housecats essentially never hurt kittens. A whap, pin or bite to the back of the neck is just communication -- teaching limits if you will. It seems to be going really really well actually.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Geekchic36

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Neutered adults housecats essentially never hurt kittens. A whap, pin or bite to the back of the neck is just communication -- teaching limits if you will. It seems to be going really really well actually.
Yes seems to be, Sylvester allowed him to sit next to him after this was taken so I'm happy 😊 thanks for the advice, guess I'm a bit of an overprotective mumma haha

Attachments

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
My Bourbon smacks, swats, growls at, bites my younger Graham every now and then. I think its her way of disciplining her younger naughty house cat sibling.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
An occasional bop on the noggin, hiss or growl isn't out of the ordinary, even for bonded cats. I have one that hisses at the smallest irritation, and he loves his "sister" and "brother." He's just a grump.

Generally, I go by the rule that "If you have to ask, it's just play."