New Kitten Possibly Sick?

mayomay

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry this is so long aha,,,
I recently took in a kitten (who looks about 3 months but I don’t know he acts like he was just weaned) whos previous owner’s mom threatened to harm him if she didn’t find another home for him soon because she didn’t want a cat anymore, and as soon as I heard this an hour later I had a new kitten I know nothing about.
My year old cat Olive was not happy at all with this so I kept them separated the first day. I noticed Uzi (kitten) had been sneezing often so I DEFINITELY wanted to keep him isolated. But my mom just kept telling me to let him roam the house and he was still sneezing. They’re getting along decently she still kinda swipes at him but they chase each other and play all day.
It’s been nearly 4 days and he continues to sneeze and his poop (gross) is shaped normally (like a log but with segments) but is more wet than my other cats. Today my cat pooped and it looked normal but she had a large wet piece stuck to her bum and she smeared it all over the floor by scooting them ran off to clean herself. Her diet isn’t the best but that’s never happened before. The kitten doesn’t have any discharge besides occasional eye crust and boogers when he sneezes and he’s active and eats a ton but I’m a little concerned. I don’t regret saving him but I do regret my naïveté, taking a strange cat into my home not even knowing if he has his vaccinations.
Should I be concerned?? I’d ever forgive myself if my actions caused my baby Olive to catch something from Uzi.

Catmomof2years

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Talk to your local vet clinic, it sounds like an upper respiratory infection. I adopted my youngest cat when he was 2 months old and he had gotten an upper respiratory infection. Almost same symptoms

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mayomay

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Talk to your local vet clinic, it sounds like an upper respiratory infection. I adopted my youngest cat when he was 2 months old and he had gotten an upper respiratory infection. Almost same symptoms
Your kitten only sneezed? Cause Uzi has no other symptoms

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mayomay

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He sneezed and had some discharge from his eye when he sneezed.
Ah ok :( I’m seriously hoping they don’t have it. I read that they have it for the rest of their life in the form of flare ups, is that true?

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Some URIs in cats are caused by herpes virus (not the kind that infects humans). The virus never goes away and some cats get recurrent infections. But it really depends on other factors. I have one cat that was sick as a kitten, had a URI then, but has never gotten it again (she’s 14). Another cat has allergies and she gets recurrences about twice a year.

Good luck with your kitten. I’m sure it’s glad you were impulsive and took it in :)

Catmomof2years

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ah ok :( I’m seriously hoping they don’t have it. I read that they have it for the rest of their life in the form of flare ups, is that true?
My cat only had it once and hasn't had any flare ups. He sneezes every once in awhile but no flare up