New Kitten Poohing Behind Couch

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My friend just got a kitten a few days ago, and, although he uses his litter box, twice he has randomly pooped behind the couch. Otherwise he is super friendly and happy. They also have an older dog but the dog and cat get along fine. Any ideas?

BlueJay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Where is the litter box located? He might prefer the quiet privacy. Some cats prefer boxes with a cover, but I would keep the old one around still and see which one he prefers if decide to try other types.

It might help to keep him contained in just one room for a few days. Hopefully he will get used to only using the litter box, and will be more likely to go back to it in the future.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
he's actually not a kitten kitten, I think he is about a year. she keeps the litter box in the laundry room, which is one level down from where he is pooping. I think he does sleep on the couch where he is going in back of, so maybe its an issue with waking up and having to go? I know she does not want a litter box in the living room though, and behind the couch there is not space in any event.

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It's best to have two litter boxes so that there aren't any accidents. Also, some cats like to pee in one and poop in the other!

Pjg8r

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It’s recommended to have a box on every floor/level. Laundry rooms can have sudden noises if the washer or dryer was working when the cat went in there.